4" lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I got a hold of a 3.5/3 leveling lift for my Bonnie and I can tell you a resounding yes. The ball joints, inner/outer tie rods, upper control arms will fail fast. The new angles will finish worn parts out within weeks. When you replace them, replace them with the best so the have most possible longevity.

Please excuse my ignorance; what is a "Bonnie"?
thanks
jg

Jb14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Jb14, are there any issues with the steering or suspension from installing the 3/2 lift with 385/70/17 tires on 8.5 wheels? I understand the need to trim the front of the valance, I'm concerned about the angle change of the steering and drive components as well as any rubbing. by the way, thanks for the tip on going backwards, it would have never occurred to me to check it in reverse!
jg
Hi JG, did not see the alert on your question so I am sure you have it answered. Anyways I have been running my set up for a couple of years now. Though there is considerable angle changes on the ball joints and ends, I have not had to replace anything since I did the original lift and replaced those components at that time, additionally, I have not had any ill effects on steering components. Running 35's the steering is heavier but fine. Only rubbing from the 35's was a small portion of the front clip that needed minor trimming that was not noticeable.

The only issue I see is in doing an alignment, actually who does the alignment. From my experience, you need someone who can adjust to your vehicle change versus someone or shop that can only align with the factory specification that is programmed in the computer. Factory specs are a good start but the experienced mechanic with a test drive a few times and adjust base on the suspension change.

CertusExpo

Customizing trucks since I was 7 with my Legos
Reaction score
Hi JG, did not see the alert on your question so I am sure you have it answered. Anyways I have been running my set up for a couple of years now. Though there is considerable angle changes on the ball joints and ends, I have not had to replace anything since I did the original lift and replaced those components at that time, additionally, I have not had any ill effects on steering components. Running 35's the steering is heavier but fine. Only rubbing from the 35's was a small portion of the front clip that needed minor trimming that was not noticeable.

The only issue I see is in doing an alignment, actually who does the alignment. From my experience, you need someone who can adjust to your vehicle change versus someone or shop that can only align with the factory specification that is programmed in the computer. Factory specs are a good start but the experienced mechanic with a test drive a few times and adjust base on the suspension change.

You need these.

https://www.spcalignment.com/index.php?option=com_spc&task=part_description&pid=86640

https://www.spcalignment.com/index.php?option=com_spc&task=part_description&pid=86680

I linked you to the manufacturer site but can search on Specialty Products and the part number in Amazon and get them for less.

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't understand the different answers. some folks have issues with parts wearing out (ball joints, etc.) other's don't. What is the difference that causes premature wear in come cases, but not in others?
Please don't respond with the obvious "the greater the lift, the greater the wear". Duh.
I'm talking about conflicting posts about lifts in the 2-3" range, meant to allow for not more than 35" tires. My truck is a 2004 SSV XLT 4WD with the OEM locker.

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
[QUOTE="Note: 4wheel parts sucks on service if you have one in your area so beyond installing tires they are a no go.[/QUOTE]

I've had one experience with them installing new tires. I will never go back. they screwed up the install, damaged the truck and refused to make it good.

CertusExpo

Reaction score
[QUOTE="Note: 4wheel parts sucks on service if you have one in your area so beyond installing tires they are a no go.

I've had one experience with them installing new tires. I will never go back. they screwed up the install, damaged the truck and refused to make it good.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. 4WP is a catastrophie of customer service and labor. Especially the sales guys that act like they're doing you a favor just acknowledging you, let alone helping. Then, it's like my honor to spend money with them.

Nope, nope, nope.

I'll buy it online and wait.

CertusExpo

Reaction score
I don't understand the different answers. some folks have issues with parts wearing out (ball joints, etc.) other's don't. What is the difference that causes premature wear in come cases, but not in others?
Please don't respond with the obvious "the greater the lift, the greater the wear". Duh.
I'm talking about conflicting posts about lifts in the 2-3" range, meant to allow for not more than 35" tires. My truck is a 2004 SSV XLT 4WD with the OEM locker.

I think it comes down to the state of the existing suspension components along with replacing them with the best you can find.
For example, when I did my lift, I replaced all four strut assemblies, inner/outer tie rods, end links, and upper/lower control arms so yeah... My shit isn't wearing out prematurely.