4" lift

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think it comes down to the state of the existing suspension components along with replacing them with the best you can find.
For example, when I did my lift, I replaced all four strut assemblies, inner/outer tie rods, end links, and upper/lower control arms so yeah... My shit isn't wearing out prematurely.

hmmm... I had always assumed "all things being equal" would take existing problems into account. I'll try to check for that in the future. I think my assumption was always that the OEM front end is nearly eternal, so anything less would be due, in varying degrees, to suspension lift.

CertusExpo

Customizing trucks since I was 7 with my Legos
Reaction score
hmmm... I had always assumed "all things being equal" would take existing problems into account. I'll try to check for that in the future. I think my assumption was always that the OEM front end is nearly eternal, so anything less would be due, in varying degrees, to suspension lift.

They most definitely are not. Warranties vary from 90-days to one million miles. I went with the 1,000,000,000 mile warranty parts.

Also, especially in cases where the Expy was purchased pre-owned, the suspension could have been beat hard and put away wet, a bad/cheap repair, even the region of the country with exposure to snow/salt on a yearly basis.

These are just a few examples but no, suspension is Wear and Tear just like brakes and tires.

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They most definitely are not. Warranties vary from 90-days to one million miles. I went with the 1,000,000,000 mile warranty parts.

Also, especially in cases where the Expy was purchased pre-owned, the suspension could have been beat hard and put away wet, a bad/cheap repair, even the region of the country with exposure to snow/salt on a yearly basis.

These are just a few examples but no, suspension is Wear and Tear just like brakes and tires.

thanks. you seem knowledgeable. I've been researching replacement components with this goal in mind:
I'll be lifting my 04 4WD expedition less than 6"; I already have some front end work to do. I want to replace affected components - suspension, steering, drive - with the aftermarket parts that will be at least as durable as OEM before the lift.

what parts/brands, etc., would you go with?
thanks
jg

CertusExpo

Reaction score
Before-After_Gusset.jpg
thanks. you seem knowledgeable. I've been researching replacement components with this goal in mind:
I'll be lifting my 04 4WD expedition less than 6"; I already have some front end work to do. I want to replace affected components - suspension, steering, drive - with the aftermarket parts that will be at least as durable as OEM before the lift.

what parts/brands, etc., would you go with?
thanks
jg

I primarily went with ProForged components as much as they manufacture for our rigs. Anything HD or Extreme Duty made by a reputable manufacturer. I went further, taking my lowers to my fab guy and having weld on gussets.

Edit: Thank you for the compliment.

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
hhhmmm so I'll have to get a "fab guy"... what kind of shop is that? a machine shop or what? what would I be looking for?
thanks
jg
I actually do a know a fab guy, but he does other work (petrochemical plant supervisor); he lives about 5 hours away, and he's busy.

CertusExpo

Reaction score
hhhmmm so I'll have to get a "fab guy"... what kind of shop is that? a machine shop or what? what would I be looking for?
thanks
jg
I actually do a know a fab guy, but he does other work (petrochemical plant supervisor); he lives about 5 hours away, and he's busy.

A good welder with tenure.

Jb14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't understand the different answers. some folks have issues with parts wearing out (ball joints, etc.) other's don't. What is the difference that causes premature wear in come cases, but not in others?
Please don't respond with the obvious "the greater the lift, the greater the wear". Duh.
I'm talking about conflicting posts about lifts in the 2-3" range, meant to allow for not more than 35" tires. My truck is a 2004 SSV XLT 4WD with the OEM locker.

I do not know either I can just state from my experience. I did a mix of OEM and Moog parts where I could not find a part of higher quality (unfortunately high-quality aftermarket products are for our trucks are not being made like other vehicles) When I did my lift I replaced all the steering and suspension components at the same time, Aarms, ball joints, tie rod ends, shocks, springs etc. For me I think it has contributed to a long life, being the parts were new and quality and were not working against older bushing and so on. I also rotate and rebalance my tires plus alignment at regular intervals and I do not drive my truck hard but can when needed.

P.S. 4 wheel parts are horrendous I agree with you. Used them once never again

Vancouver Bob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm sure there's also a certain amount of generalization going on... someone reads an article about someone that put a 12" lift on their truck and had component failure due to the sever change in geometries (suspension, drive shafts) then assumes all lifts of any type will yield the same results and openly shares that opinion :).

I haven't had any problems. 3.5/2.5 with original control arms.

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I do not know either I can just state from my experience. I did a mix of OEM and Moog parts where I could not find a part of higher quality (unfortunately high-quality aftermarket products are for our trucks are not being made like other vehicles) When I did my lift I replaced all the steering and suspension components at the same time, Aarms, ball joints, tie rod ends, shocks, springs etc. For me I think it has contributed to a long life, being the parts were new and quality and were not working against older bushing and so on. I also rotate and rebalance my tires plus alignment at regular intervals and I do not drive my truck hard but can when needed.

P.S. 4 wheel parts are horrendous I agree with you. Used them once never again

beginning to wonder whether 4WP ever gets repeat business....

CertusExpo

Reaction score
Update:

I am going to add Limit Straps to the front. Our trucks don't have bump stops and while catching some air, the end lins blew out and grease was spat everywhere.
I feel that limit straps will control that while not allowing the weight of the entire front end just whack everything to full drop.

We'll see and I'll keep ya'll posted.