4 prong to 7 prong

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adamsdaddy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In my 2016 owners manual under fuse specification chart I believe it is the #48 40 amp fuse. If it doesn't have a fuse then you'll need to get one and just remember to get the low profile fuses. Remarkably easy to run a line back to the trailer hitch.

bjpinub

Reaction score
So, I installed a 7-ping connector on my 2017 Expedition which only had the towing prep package. I am still confused about the best way to connect the 12v wire in the 7-pin harness to a 12v power source. I have seen some going to the battery, and I have seen some going to an orange wire. What is my best option? And, what are all the supplies I need?

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So, I installed a 7-ping connector on my 2017 Expedition which only had the towing prep package. I am still confused about the best way to connect the 12v wire in the 7-pin harness to a 12v power source. I have seen some going to the battery, and I have seen some going to an orange wire. What is my best option? And, what are all the supplies I need?
They are all 12v, there is a diagram on google to wire the plug.

Langer

Full Access Members
Reaction score

I tapped the orange wire. It’s what the factor HD tow plug would have used if it didn’t terminate there in the non-he tow vehicles.

vincentrose

Reaction score
This is the wiring diagram for my 2014 with the HD tow package, it looks like the orange wire, runs all the way from the fuse box

Attachments

• 2014 Expedition Trailer wiring.pdf
    295.4 KB · Views: 12

Langer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does anyone know if this is true? I found it on etrailer.com. They say that there is an orange wire near the back of the vehicle. Here is the link
https://www.etrailer.com/question-310616.html

On my 2017 I tapped the very thick orange wire above the driver’s side wheel shroud in the engine compartment. From the threads I’ve read here, if you do not have HD tow (no 7-prong plug standard), I thought it terminated there. If that is indeed the same very thick orange wire highlighted in the picture there, it should work. I’ll grab a picture in the morning.