4th Gen MAX Limited Driver Running Board = Dead

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

goodguy2k

Reaction score
Hey all - looking for help on my wife's 2020 MAX Limited. The driver's side power running board is shot - motor etc work but seems the bearings are out and all it does is make that terrible sound (similar to a seal barking.) I've soaked the bearings with PB Blaster and lithium grease but nothing helps - thus I've turned them off in the menu and now looking at alternatives. I'm happy to go with fixed/non-power. Is there ANY source for nerf-bars or aftermarket bars for the 4th Gen EL/MAX? Can't even find at auto-wrecking yards. etc.

Thanks in advance.

AJ82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OP
OP
G

goodguy2k

Reaction score
Thanks all. AJ82 - that's the exact part, thank you! $800 per...

Mr Big - the motor itself seems fine. My sense after reading/You-Tubing etc is that its the bearings/bushings on the hinges that are at fault. The fix generally is to pressure wash and use PB Blaster to break up any funk, then heavily lubricate with llithium/chain grease to keep funk and water from intruding. The bad bearings cause resistance and the motors are designed to reverse if they sense resistance (whether funk or somebody's foot.)

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Mr Big - the motor itself seems fine. My sense after reading/You-Tubing etc is that its the bearings/bushings on the hinges that are at fault. The fix generally is to pressure wash and use PB Blaster to break up any funk, then heavily lubricate with llithium/chain grease to keep funk and water from intruding. The bad bearings cause resistance and the motors are designed to reverse if they sense resistance (whether funk or somebody's foot.)
I think before replacing the entire running boards, I would try Penetro or Kroil oil. They both work great. I tend to lean towards Penetro because Kroil could hurt seals.

OP
OP
G

goodguy2k

Reaction score
Thanks Mr Big - can of Penetro is on its way. Agreed - I'll try anything to avoid replacement! There's an extensive YouTube about replacing the bearings (improved are available on eBay from the UK for ~$45) but requires a lot more labor. I prefer to work smarter!

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score

$524 and $518 at Sunrise.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M Bennett