4wd not engaging '97 expedition/4.3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ctown2

Reaction score
About a year ago, my wife and I bought a 97 Expedition, 4.3 liter for her to haul the kids around in, and we purchased it knowing that the 4wd would not engage. Last year around this time, I didn't have time to troubleshoot it so it's been running on just fine (well except for replacing both heads this past summer, that was a 'fun' project). We live in Seattle, so we don't really need 4wd with the exception of when I want to take the rig up to the mountains for skiiing or go across the state in the winter.

That said, I looked up in my Hayne's manual for any info on trouble shooting 4wd engagement, but that was useless. My wife drives this regularly and she thinks that when she is loosing power, she gets power back when she turns the 4wd selector switch from 2wd to 4wd (cycling back to 2wd). It will not engage in 4wd or even AWD.

So what are some steps to begin troubleshooting the source of the problem?

My thoughts are; electrical- switch or motor engagement; mechanical ?

I just started up the truck to see what I could get. When you select the AWD or 4wd the light on the dash lights up. But you never hear any type of engagement. When you select 4wd low the dash light does not light up at all.

I just found this thread but I have not had a chance to read through it yet.
http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/8...the-iwe-system-and-then-some.html#post7322441

Craig

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire