4x4 conversion possible?????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Racenut

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I was under the Expedition a couple of weekends ago replacing the transmission, when I noticed a large conector mounted to the floor board at the tail of the trans. It has a cap plugged into it and I found out that the Expedition is prewired for either 2wd or 4x4 (also have the plug for the 4wd selector switch to the left of the stereo under the vent).

So this got the wheels turnin in my head about 100mph! :burnout:

My question is since the Ex has a different frame than the f150 ( I hear the f150 is a PITA for this conversion unless going SAS because they use two different frames) is it possible if I where to get a donor front frame clip (for all braketry and suspension, there are 4 locally for about $300) T-case (local $150), Front Axle ( local with matching ratio $150), and the 4wd Transmission (local $500) does this seem like a doable project (would also look at getting the Fabtech 6" lift and 35x12.50's to go with it).

Could some one on hear post some pics of the 1st gen 4wd front suspension (mainly the engine cradle, front axle mounts, Torsion bar mounts and the A arm mounts)? This will give me something to compare to see how hard this project would be.

I know it will be alot of work and a fair amount of $ ( Call me crazy if you want ) but in the long run I think it would be worth it to me, since I will drive her till she dies and then rebuild her again ( If you can tell I hate car payments).

I love my Ex and since it is almost paid off I would rather try and tackle this project if it is possible rather than buy a different one (plus I only have 120k on this one instead of most I see with around 200k).

Ideas, comments and sugestions welcome since this is just a thought!

99 Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I will try to get some pics for you soon, it is snowing today, so they might turn out crappy. I had a bunch of pics when I changed all my bushings and control arms, but they are gone now :(

But if you can find all the parts for a good price, I think it would be a good deal, and I would recommend getting new bushings and changing them before you put all of it together so you have a whole "new" front end.

OP
OP
Racenut

Racenut

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I will try to get some pics for you soon, it is snowing today, so they might turn out crappy. I had a bunch of pics when I changed all my bushings and control arms, but they are gone now :(

But if you can find all the parts for a good price, I think it would be a good deal, and I would recommend getting new bushings and changing them before you put all of it together so you have a whole "new" front end.

I would appreciate those pics and regarding the bushings if it seems like a doable project I would upgrade to all greasable polly bushings. Thanks for the input :waytogo:.

99 Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I got some quick pictures last night, but if I go home next week, I will be rotating my tires, so I could get some better pics.

Attachments

• IMG_1940.jpg
    IMG_1940.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 216
  • IMG_1941.jpg
    IMG_1941.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_1942.jpg
    IMG_1942.jpg
    83.6 KB · Views: 206
  • IMG_1947.jpg
    IMG_1947.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_1952.jpg
    IMG_1952.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 223

99 Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hope these help. Mine is a 99 XLT by the way, but should be similar to yours. And when I rotate my tires, I will get some pics of the mounts.

Attachments

• IMG_1954.jpg
    IMG_1954.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 141
  • IMG_1959.jpg
    IMG_1959.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 133

99 Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have the 4.6, so I think my axle might be different than yours, but the mounts and everything will be the same. If there is a difference, make sure to go with the bigger axle since you have the 5.4, and throw in a locker diff to make sure you do it right the first time :waytogo:

OP
OP
Racenut

Racenut

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I will definatley do it right the first time. Right now I am just looking to see if everything will work ( which I belive it will ) then it will be time to save up the money.

My son is due to be born tomorrow so it will easily be 6 months + till this gets done, but that will give me time to round up all the parts and have everything sitting here waiting :happy107:

99 Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Haha, i hear you on saving the money. Getting the ideas is always the easy part, but money always slows you down lol. Congrats on your your expecting son. If you do the project right, who knows, maybe it will be his some day lol.

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
yeah congrats man! but it should work out good. and the front axle is the same for both the 4.6 and 5.4. so no worrys there. you will have to do some welding though. since i think the front cradle is welded to the frame. ill have to look. im going to be busy once i get off here, so cant take any pics, but ill try and get some up this week for you.