4x4 conversion possible?????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Racenut

Racenut

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks you guys for all the responses I really appreciate it. We are really excited for the addition to the family, we got lucky and had my daughter and now my son so no more for us ( once I pay of the Ex then I will have to get my wife a new mini van).

I am pretty sure there will be a pretty fair amount of welding involved in this project but thats no problem, me and a few buddies went in together on a 140 amp miller mig and we also just put on a 15'x19' addition on to my buddies shop (now its 28'w x 19'd and 10.5'h) makes large project alot easier.

One of my buddies has a TRUE '69 chevelle SS 396 and the other just picked up a '84 Grand National T Type, so we always have something goin on between side jobs and messing with our own rigs!

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
but also dont cheap out. if your going threw all that work it would be a lot easier to just put a solid axle under there. find an ecu and everthing that will work an expo transfer case and find a junk yard D60 from a ford, or dodge, but the ford would be more reliable and easier to work on. and then put some leafs on the front, just like nvy is doing, but it should be easier for the front conversion since you dont have to cut much off the front.

OP
OP
Racenut

Racenut

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I thought about the SAS but i really don't do any major off roading. This is still my family hauler and I do alot of interstate driving, but it would be nice to be able to get to a few of the camp sites that we can no longer get to.

Once the days of family hauling are over then I will probably make this just my toy and then do the SAS because then I don't have to worry about putting car seats in or carrying a ladder for the wife :roflsquared:

jacks3am

Full Access Members
Reaction score
sas keeps its alignment better? i think its actually lighter overall too, but thats just somthing i saw

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
do a SAS and run 37s... I put my 3 year old into mine all the time and my wife is short too... only 5'3" and she has no problems... i would go bigger but see no point and now expy tows my boat too....

JUST4FUN

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I think you would be better off going with the SAS and a manual transfer case just cuz of the electronics. if im not mistaken the fourwheel drive goes though the gem and the computer and the abs system and they need to be programed for it. i would think about selling it and buy a 4x4 and save the trouble and the extra cost, what you think it will cost now will be double or triple when you get into it. IMHO

jacks3am

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i like your expy alot racenut, if ya wana go 4x4, just get a locker!