4x4 Disabled

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mike1305

Reaction score
2019 Expedition XLT w/tow package. Heavy snow in Colorado today and felt like the 4x4 was working fine on my way home. I start backing up my driveway, which is not steep at all, and it gets stuck. Front tires were not spinning and I get the “4x4 temporarily disabled” notice on my screen. Initially it was in 4A, and then i tried 4L. Nothing worked. Took it around the block in 4A and would not re-engage. Ended up just getting a running start up the driveway and parking it. Why is it disabling 4x4 when its needed the most?

Last edited:

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2019 Expedition XLT w/tow package. Heavy snow in Colorado today and felt like the 4x4 was working fine on my way home. I start backing up my driveway, which is not steep at all, and it gets stuck. Front tires were not spinning and I get the “4x4 temporarily disabled” notice on my screen. Initially it was in 4A, and then i tried the button which locks the t-case and finally 4L. Nothing worked. Took it around the block in 4A and would not re-engage. Ended up just getting a running start up the driveway and parking it. Why is it disabling 4x4 when its needed the most?
It might be caused by high transfer case oil temp

OP
OP
M

mike1305

Reaction score
But then what would cause the oil to be so high after a 20min drive? Manual says it may be a warm clutch? Just dont understand how it could be so hot when i wasn’t doing anything but driving 30mph on a snow covered road.

LegalBrief

Reaction score
But then what would cause the oil to be so high after a 20min drive? Manual says it may be a warm clutch? Just dont understand how it could be so hot when i wasn’t doing anything but driving 30mph on a snow covered road.
what was your system set to prior? If you over heat it, it won’t engage, bet it work fine in AM.

OP
OP
M

mike1305

Reaction score
Its a 2019 with 21k miles. I bought it a month ago with just over 20k miles. I always run it in 2H. Snowed a lot today so i put it in 4A and snow mode. Drove it home in 4A and then tried backing up my driveway. Immediately got stuck and got the warning. Took all of 5 seconds trying to back up the driveway before i got the dash warning. Nothing i was doing should warrant any sort of stress or overheating of any component.

LegalBrief

Reaction score
I hate to say this but you bought someone else’s off lease rig. They may have never put it 4, or they perhaps they ran around on dry pavement in 4H or 4L

You’re describing a transfer case problem, or a front drive shaft (maybe bad knuckle) or maybe a front axle issue (have you heard any whirring?)

If fine in the AM - It’s thinking it’s about to overheat - maybe low fluid or needs a service? Or a module …

Any which way it’s back to the dealer you need to go… hopefully you bought a warranty. Transfer case work is not cheap (under warranty they just swap the unit)

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mike1305

Reaction score
According to the carfax, it was a 1-owner personal vehicle owned in Colorado. Clean vehicle and meticulously maintained from what i can tell, with frequent service records. It doesn’t have 4H, just the 4A option, which ive read is fine to use on dry pavement all the time. It does have 4L but someone would have to be exceedingly dumb to use that on dry pavement and not notice, to the point it breaks. Doesnt make any odd noises. Anyway, i’ll have a look tomorrow and take it to the stealer if it persists. I did buy the powertrain warranty so i’m not worried about the financial impact. Just worried about the tongue lashing i will get from the wife, since i convinced her to trade in a perfectly functioning 1-year-old midsize suv for this 4-year-old exedition that has already given me some heartache.

OP
OP
M

mike1305

Reaction score
Ok, so just took it out this morning and 4x4 does not seem to be working at all. Within seconds of driving, i get the “4x4 temporarily locked” and then “4x4 temporarily disabled” right after. As soon as there is any sort of slip, this happens. No visible wheel spin coming from the front at any point in time.

Rob6805

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok, so just took it out this morning and 4x4 does not seem to be working at all. Within seconds of driving, i get the “4x4 temporarily locked” and then “4x4 temporarily disabled” right after. As soon as there is any sort of slip, this happens. No visible wheel spin coming from the front at any point in time.
Time for a visit to the dealer.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waleedalmadani