4x4 Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kmaysob

Reaction score
Ive got a 2003 expedition with some 4x4 issues. Issues started over a year ago. I had a strange noise I could not narrow down. It sounded like a bearing lacking lube . I poked, prodded, spun, & shook everything I could think of. The sound only showed up on the freeway under hard acceleration. I realized a few months ago what it was. The right front 4x4 actuator is trying to engage under low vacuum conditions. (hard accel) I changed a bunch of really poor looking vacuum connections today and tested it. No change. The noise goes away when put in 2 hi. When put in awd, both hubs just chatter.

I havent had a chance to vacuum check anything with a mity vac, but looking closer at things, Im not sure what to even check. The hubs have a large vacuum line and a small vacuum line going to them. The large line ties into the vacuum system and the small one goes no where. It comes back up into the engine bay and is open. Both sides are like this. Am i missing something here?

Tried 4 low today and it does nothing. Does not lite the 4 low light on the dash and no engagement at the transfer case. When the transfer case motor is bad, does the 4x4 low light still illuminate?

Thanks for any help.