4x4 Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shantheman73

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So...it was snowing in KC last week...so I put the Expy in 4WD high a few times when the roads were really slick. This thing is a beast in the snow!
Tonite however, I noticed my steering feels heavy...as though the 4WD is engaged still...even when I have it in 2WD. Is it possible it's still in 4WD without the dash indicating as such? I put it in 4WD while driving at a low speed and then put it back to 2WD hoping that it might help...but it still has the same heavy steering I feel when 4WD is engaged.

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Try slowly backing up with it in 2wd, turn the steering wheel slowly back and forth while moving in reverse

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Try turning in tight circles in an empty area. Does it turn smoothly or does it feel like the driveline is binding up?

Also, check your tire pressure.

OP
OP
Shantheman73

Shantheman73

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Try turning in tight circles in an empty area. Does it turn smoothly or does it feel like the driveline is binding up?

Also, check your tire pressure.
Yeah…first thing I checked was tire pressure.
Negative on the binding up. It still turns smoothly.

OP
OP
Shantheman73

Shantheman73

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If it was in 4WD it would be banging and clunking loudly in a tight turn
Ok that’s good info.
I drove it to work this morning and noticed two things:
1. It’s not consistent
2. When it’s happening, the steering wheel doesn’t want to come back to center after turning a corner.
Would that be power steering related? It’s not making any odd sounds, just suddenly gets heavy at times.

Timo2824

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The hubs are disconnected using engine vacuum. Sometimes a vacuum leak in the system can cause the hubs to always be engaged. Also a solenoid that controls the vacuum being sent to the hub can fail. I've had hubs get frozen engaged after driving through a bunch of snow as well. When you turn on 4x4 auto the hubs are locked, so driving around with them locked is okay as long as the transfer case is going to 2wd or auto 4x4.

OP
OP
Shantheman73

Shantheman73

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The hubs are disconnected using engine vacuum. Sometimes a vacuum leak in the system can cause the hubs to always be engaged. Also a solenoid that controls the vacuum being sent to the hub can fail. I've had hubs get frozen engaged after driving through a bunch of snow as well. When you turn on 4x4 auto the hubs are locked, so driving around with them locked is okay as long as the transfer case is going to 2wd or auto 4x4.
Ok…that makes sense.
Today I jacked up the front end and pulled tire off. If the hub is still engaged…does that mean the half shaft spins with the wheel? Or does it spin with the wheel even when the hub isn’t engaged?
Sorry for these questions: I’m not familiar with how the 4WD works on this thing.

OP
OP
Shantheman73

Shantheman73

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok...I jacked it up again with the engine running (to create vacuum) and the driver wheel spun freely...the passenger hub was engaged.
Now........I'm betting it's probably the seal at the wheel hub that's leaking?