5.4 3v rough idle, dies, multiple codes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Skauber

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree, but say the water leak causes the VCT on one side to fully open or similar, then it'll throw the timing out of whack and probably make the other side go fully in the opposite direction as the PCM tries to compensate and you'll get weird codes so until the leak is fixed and the PCM is dry you can't really trust the codes or the symptoms it gives.

OP
OP
A

akorcovelos

Reaction score
Lots of great info! I really think the issue is the plugs for the ECU being soaked. It's probably shorting all kinds of sensor connections to the PCM so the computer thinks all hell is breaking loose, lol.

Lostneye

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would clean the contacts off it there was antifreeze on them. Let it dry out then see where you are at.

I agree with Skauber that why it's still possible you have phaser issues it's very possible the soaked computer is causing most of the issues. The timing issues could be causing the O2 issues as well. I will guess the only thing you have left might be the misfire since it's only on one cyl.

OP
OP
A

akorcovelos

Reaction score
well, the saga continues. Now I'm fairly sure it's an issue caused by soaking the PCM and plugs. I pull all the plugs and blew them dry with shop air, then hooked it all back up. Tried starting it and it would barely idle, stalled immediately. Pulled the 5 NEW codes to see whats up now.
91A6F63A-A3E6-498D-8BD7-174D82FED18C_zpsgh6y8l0n.jpg

P0122, P0222, P0223, P2106, P2110 - All of these are TPS or Throttle body errors. I can replace the TPS and clean the throttle body, but I'm thinking something in the area of the ecu is either still wet, fried from being wet...

244EC152-D34E-4701-AD91-FE286643171A_zpsx1wfmwi9.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
A

akorcovelos

Reaction score
This is beyond a rough idle, it won't stay running even with throttle input in neutral. Either I have a short at the ECU or the TPS/throttle body is hosed. I'm going to replace the TPS and clean the throttle body since it probably needs it either way and get some CRC electronics cleaner and hose the ECU plugs and wiring down and see what happens.

At least I'm confident it's not a timing issue anymore. Silver lining I guess? lol.

OP
OP
A

akorcovelos

Reaction score
Just to tie this thread off, I cleaned all the connections that were soaked in coolant, and replaced the TPS and all is well. Truck is back to running great.