5.4 Motor rebuild help.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Expy530

Reaction score
I seen you are planning on spending around $700ish. With that budget you won't get any extra power. Parts for this engine are not cheap like 350 or 454. Just keep it stock. If u do go big on it and add bunch of HP you will end up ruining the tranny. If you tow a lot try changing diff gear ratio. Anyways just my opinion I've have rebuilt these engines before

OP
OP
Fanatic1074

Fanatic1074

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OK well I'll prolly just try to find out if I have the pi heads and if not buy those and rebuilt them. Anyone got any tips on figuring out if u have pi heads?

I have heard that they should bolt right on and provide more power w/o increasing compression a ton.

Sound like a good idea? Or should I just rebuilt my stock ones and call it good?

BTW I already have a lot done to this truck. CAI, exhaust, 75mm tb, tb spacer, accell coils, custom tune his SCT tuner.

Sent from my Verizon Galaxy S3 via tapatalk

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
03 has PI heads. Started using them in 99 till they went to 3v heads.

OP
OP
Fanatic1074

Fanatic1074

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think I have decided on just replacing pistons. However Im having trouble finding a good set for a reasonable price. Anyone have any suggestions?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Lightnig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What do you consider 'reasonable'?

$50-60 ea for a OEM replacement piston sounds about right to me...

OP
OP
Fanatic1074

Fanatic1074

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I can get OEM pistons for around 275-300 full set. Reasonable to me would be 400 or less. Maybe I'm just cheap tho. I seen a set but they were 850.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2