5.4 or 3.5

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I traded in a 2010 platinum max tow F150 for my 17 expedition. The 5.4 is a strong motor when paired with the 6r80 and 3.73 gears, it pulled much better than my 12 F150 with 5.0 motor, especially in the mountains. Now the 17 expy is in a whole nother league when it comes to pulling power. It's a real ecobeast. I wish I had a pickup with the 3.5L only for the solid axle and leaf spring suspension since that's where the expy really dissapoints when towing. With a proper WDH though, I always walk away impressed after pulling my rv through the mountains.

The only real place the 5.4 beats out the ecoboost is in engine breaking.
That little V6 just doesn't have much and I have to use my brakes far more in downhill situations to keep the motor from revving too high in 2nd gear. I try to limit it to 4k rpm when descending hills with the trailer behind it.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sound and taste are 2 of the most important human senses. Think back to the girls fragrance that got you exited in your early days. If you smell something close to that, all those feelings come rushing back. Same goes for sound. I remember back in 1969, when a Kawasaki 500 triple or Honda 750 four cylinder came screaming by me at 8 grand. It makes the hairs on your neck stand up! That's what I miss. I still get that feeling when a 12 cylinder Ferrari comes by me on the pipe, as we used to say. But those sounds or smells are getting rare. One of my faves was going to the indoors 2 stroke racing here in SF at the Cow palace. Yamaha's and Bultaco 250's running blendzall 2 stroke oil/gas mix was what every 16 year old boy needed. 13-15 guys racing around a concrete oval on a Friday night. And you had a friend racing there to root for. Did I mention, they had no brakes, just a compression release to slow em down a little. They were screaming around that 100 ft oval at speeds of 70 mph. I miss the smells!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

G213

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Both are great engines. I have only one beef with the 3.5L...direct injection. When my 3.5L cold starts, it idles rough. I've heard that this is a byproduct of direct injection and/or the ECU purposely running a rich mixture on a cold start to warm the cats up to pass emissions standards.

The new 3.5L models have dual injection; I think this resolved a lot of minor quirks.

I'll tell you what I don't like though...auto start/stop on the new models....with no way to disable it permanently without a modification. I know some people love auto start/stop....not for me.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'll tell you what I don't like though...auto start/stop on the new models....with no way to disable it permanently without a modification. I know some people love auto start/stop....not for me.

It is just a FORSCAN setting away from being disabled by default.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

G213

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It is just a FORSCAN setting away from being disabled by default.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I do love me some ForScan :) Good to know.

I did just watch a video of someone permanently jumping their auto start/stop switch with a paperclip. :Big Laugh:

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
on the pipe

We still do Moose! I remember the day I met God, I had gotten on a Kaw Bighorn 350 w/o a clue....sure I had ridden two strokes....but one twist of the throttle and I was looking straight into Gods face and didn't know what had happened.....I finally figured it out....my friends said they had never seen someone pull such a long wheelie on that bike b4....they didn't know that I was terrified that God would abandon me but he didn't, he set the front wheel down gently and called me a fool. <LOL>

jeff

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
See, that's why I never owned many Kawasaki's. My brothers 175 did the same to me. My Yamaha 175, and 250 enduros had a nice predictable powerband for wheelies. Kawasaki's are either dead on power, like your Mach 3 below 4,500 rpm, or opens up like a fire hose at 5,000. My brothers 175 was the same way. The Mx versions of the Kawi dirt bikes we're even more radical. When I used to run the service dept of Redwood City Honda/Kawasaki/Suzuki, my craziest customer's to talk to were the ones that rode the 500cc full blown race dirt bikes. It takes some big stones to ride one. I rode a 400 once, that had me shaking when I came back.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

cmiles97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I guess I don't equate sound to performance. While the sound of a carbureted Harley or a V-8 car does sound good. It's low on my priority list to power, efficiency and reliability.

You can't believe how many Harley Davidson buyers immediately throw away brand new exhaust systems to make their bike "sound better". I'm the Harley owner you want as a neighbor. I hate folks revving the piss out of their bike just to make noise. Mine will only be loud when I open it up for quick acceleration.

If you asked me you can have a SUV with 365HP/420lb-ft of torque that gets good gas mileage but it is going to be quiet, I would say no problem bring it on.

The number of people dumping thousands of dollars into their vehicle to "lift" them for looks only or change their exhaust just to make it sound better, I'll never understand because it's not that important to me. I know I'm in the minority on this especially in the Harley world. The Vrod was my 1st Harley and still the fastest one I've owned never sold well because "it doesn't sound like a Harley". How crazy is that?

Edit: I was thinking about it at lunch. Ford as well as other manufacturers are piping in motor sound into the cab. Talk about a waste of money & effort. Then again if the majority of buyers are more concerned about how their vehicle sounds than other things I don't blame them for providing it. I just want to be able to deduct the price of that off mine.

Last edited:

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Fine machine, the V and no, the purists panned it despite HD spending millions to try to get it to "sound right" which is why it has cooling fins even though it was water cooled.

I also think it was HD's first 11 second machine sold to the masses. I once rode a Turbocharged Booming Black Flash..remember that bike? XLCR...but this one had a turbo....shook like Satan was inside and pissed....but boy was she fast....I was just lapping it to warm it up for a friend but 160 or so on the back straight was enough to convince me that it was for real but you had to time the throttle or the turbo boost would come on at the wrong time or drop off completely in the turns....

jeff