5 star and drive modes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

66nova

Reaction score
I’m sorry if this has been covered, but i searched and didn’t find it. I’m wanting to do a 5 star tune. How does it affect drive modes? Can they tune the 10 sp? I plan on a 93 octane tune, but can normal be a daily tune and sport be a more radical tune? I tow, so I want tow/haul left intact.

I have had almost all of my vehicles custom tuned, but none have had this many drive modes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I’m sorry if this has been covered, but i searched and didn’t find it. I’m wanting to do a 5 star tune. How does it affect drive modes? Can they tune the 10 sp? I plan on a 93 octane tune, but can normal be a daily tune and sport be a more radical tune? I tow, so I want tow/haul left intact.

I have had almost all of my vehicles custom tuned, but none have had this many drive modes.

Power is the same across modes. Shifting and throttle response are modified across modes.

I am not a 5 Star fan. Our 2020 is tuned by ZFG.

Here was our Stock 2020 Limited Max 4x4 Special Edition on 22’s on a E85(Stock Pump) ZFG tune. No mixing, cheaper fillups, more power, but less MPG’s.

cb6d2ac4359d85884bc4cab75ade9637.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
OP

66nova

Reaction score
I’m new to ford and the eco boost. The stock pump and injectors handle E85 without an issue?

We have it here, but have to drive a bit to get it.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I’m new to ford and the eco boost. The stock pump and injectors handle E85 without an issue?

We have it here, but have to drive a bit to get it.

Yes they can handle it, but it is a detuned E85 tune. To make full use of E85 on these motors you need to have an aftermarket pump. E50 tuned is faster and gets more power, but you have to Mix. This E85 tune gets you more power than a 93 Tune, less than an E50 tune, but no mixing like E50. Makes it easy.

Search on here. I did a thread explaining it all with more info.

Sunflowergirl

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Yes they can tune the shit outta your 10 speed expedition, they actually on two of them! Very impressive, you can get a 93 perf and 93 perf tow, each will be calibrated to what they are used for, but I must note it’s important when you get your tunes that you datalog them so they can be revised and dialed in by 5 star which is free. 10 speeds really do well with an Ngauge tuner. Your drive modes are all accounted for in their tuning. Perf tow for towing or daily driving, perf only for when you want to make people cry as the grocery getter is walking em!

also as Loki stated, you can go into ethanol blends but mixing is required for full potential. It’s not too hard after you donit a few times, and the gains are there. I went from a 93 perf on revision 7.11 to an e30 tune and the difference is ridiculous!

Allan Villa

Reaction score
Hi I am new here. Literally new with ford let alone with ecoboost and tuning. I have a 2020 Expy Plat Max. I am texting with a ZFG guy right now asking him a package for daily driving and towing with regards to the octane rating here in Canada. Any input from you will be appreciated. Thanks!

Sunflowergirl

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi I am new here. Literally new with ford let alone with ecoboost and tuning. I have a 2020 Expy Plat Max. I am texting with a ZFG guy right now asking him a package for daily driving and towing with regards to the octane rating here in Canada. Any input from you will be appreciated. Thanks!
Suck it up and get the highest octane you can. You’ll be happier. Also, not a fan of ZFG, I prefer 5 star tuning

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

ZFG! So far, I am not aware of a Stock 4x4 Max running the numbers I am.

Adam is probably who you are talking to, and you will not be disappointed.

5 Star is fine. The issue is that they limit themselves by using the NGuage. It’s logging capability is limited in comparison to the MPVI2 or RTD that ZFG sells. 5 Star does adjust based on logging, but they are limited in what they can see.

Remember Octane is not all that matters. Ethanol is important. On these motors you can tune for more power with 87 with E10, vs 91 with E0. Ethanol has other advantages other than an increased Octane level. I know in many parts of Canada they have gone to using E0 Premium(91-93). That is not good for these motors.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
If you have any questions about ZFG, Livernois, or HyperTech yell. I have used all 3 on my 2020, and on my 17.

I am on my 5th vehicle tuned by ZFG. Can’t recommend them enough, I just like to check out some of the competition.

StealthyBulldog

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Remember Octane is not all that matters. Ethanol is important. On these motors you can tune for more power with 87 with E10, vs 91 with E0. Ethanol has other advantages other than an increased Octane level. I know in many parts of Canada they have gone to using E0 Premium(91-93). That is not good for these motors.

Interesting. So here in Canada what is done at MOST stations that only offer the 3 tiers of fuel (87, 89, 91) is they only get two types of fuel 87 that is mandated to have 10% Ethanol, and 91 which is ethanol free. Then the pumps themselves have a blender unit in it so if you choose 89 it blends the two together so you would get around 5% ethanol.

Years ago when Husky was the only station selling fuel with ethanol the refineries were only producing 87 as the lowest octane rating, so then Husky would add their 10% Ethanol and it would be a 90 octane regular fuel. Once the government mandated ethanol fuel the refineries were able to use an 85 octane base and add ethanol to get an 87 octane rating.

So from factory, no mods, no tunes, are you saying that I shouldn't be running 91 premium? We used to run a Husky station, before and after the ethanol mandate which is why I know about it.