5 star and drive modes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sunflowergirl

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Interesting. So here in Canada what is done at MOST stations that only offer the 3 tiers of fuel (87, 89, 91) is they only get two types of fuel 87 that is mandated to have 10% Ethanol, and 91 which is ethanol free. Then the pumps themselves have a blender unit in it so if you choose 89 it blends the two together so you would get around 5% ethanol.

Years ago when Husky was the only station selling fuel with ethanol the refineries were only producing 87 as the lowest octane rating, so then Husky would add their 10% Ethanol and it would be a 90 octane regular fuel. Once the government mandated ethanol fuel the refineries were able to use an 85 octane base and add ethanol to get an 87 octane rating.

So from factory, no mods, no tunes, are you saying that I shouldn't be running 91 premium? We used to run a Husky station, before and after the ethanol mandate which is why I know about it.
Yes I have always run 93 octane since day one both tuned and stock

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Interesting. So here in Canada what is done at MOST stations that only offer the 3 tiers of fuel (87, 89, 91) is they only get two types of fuel 87 that is mandated to have 10% Ethanol, and 91 which is ethanol free. Then the pumps themselves have a blender unit in it so if you choose 89 it blends the two together so you would get around 5% ethanol.

Years ago when Husky was the only station selling fuel with ethanol the refineries were only producing 87 as the lowest octane rating, so then Husky would add their 10% Ethanol and it would be a 90 octane regular fuel. Once the government mandated ethanol fuel the refineries were able to use an 85 octane base and add ethanol to get an 87 octane rating.

So from factory, no mods, no tunes, are you saying that I shouldn't be running 91 premium? We used to run a Husky station, before and after the ethanol mandate which is why I know about it.

Honestly it depends on what your goal is. Power or MPG. I discussed this a lot in my fuel thread.

Basically, if you want the best MPG, High Octane with 0% Ethanol. If you want the best power, The highest Octane you can get that has Ethanol 10% or higher. On stock tune, going above 20% Ethanol gains you nothing.

Basically most people only think Ethanol's only advantage is the Octane, and that 91 Octane E0, and 91 Octane E10, will generate the same power. Not true. The additional cooling effects. Ethanol burns slower, and will burn more completely, end up creating more power, even though it has less energy per gallon. I could go deeper if you want, but I hope that makes sense.

OP
OP

66nova

Reaction score
Thank you for all the replies!

Another question. I have read mixed reviews on this.

Have any of your tuners recommended removing the turbo silencers in the intakes? I have seen numbers where it gained and lost power. I would like to hear the turbos, but not at the cost of power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

Have any of your tuners recommended removing the turbo silencers in the intakes? I have seen numbers where it gained and lost power. I would like to hear the turbos, but not at the cost of power.

Just leave them alone, if you are leaving the stock tubes.

Sunflowergirl

Full Access Members
Reaction score

They don’t really matter, I ditched mine. But aerodynamic engineers on here will compare an expedition to a massive aircraft and say we need them. These were first thing to come out on both my expeditions