6 Door Excursion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
To go in the other direction, I'd love a 2 door Expy. A la full sized Bronco.
That would be a beast and probably look quite funny being the huge size of the Excursion.
I had a 91 Ramcharger that was a big boxy Beast. It wasn't too bad getting to the back seat as I had a young child at the time and had to flip the seat forward hop in there on my knee and put his car seat in the base every time.
It did get annoying though and that's why I got rid of it and got my four-door Durango. Plus I'm addicted to 3rd row seating now whether I use it or not.

Boose

2017 Platinum EL
Reaction score
I had a 93 & a 95 full size Bronco... LOVED those trucks. Both were before kids, where the back seat was folded down most of the time. If it was available I would have seriously considered it when I was shopping for my F150. The Expedition is the ultimate family truckster, especially in the EL wheelbase for my wife with the kids and gear all the time. But for me rolling to work, I'd be all over that!

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had a 93 & a 95 full size Bronco... LOVED those trucks. Both were before kids, where the back seat was folded down most of the time. If it was available I would have seriously considered it when I was shopping for my F150. The Expedition is the ultimate family truckster, especially in the EL wheelbase for my wife with the kids and gear all the time. But for me rolling to work, I'd be all over that!
I agree. When they first came out they caught my attention and I said that will be a great vehicle to have once they get older in the price comes down to where I'm willing to pay what they cost. Then I found a 98 Durango and I do like it size a little bit better. I think they are a little bit smaller but you really don't miss the room inside. The Expedition can be just a tad big in parking garages and parking in parking spots but I will gladly put up with that for the larger vehicle. The Excursion is a little too cumbersome and not worth it for me for the little bit of extra room and I don't tell anything so that's not a necessity. Also, the Excursion loses the good luck because it's too long so it looks too much like a suburban and I never liked the long Suburban look. The expedition was shorter and had a taller stance so it just looks so much better.

VoxVeritatis

Reaction score
2002 Ford Excursion Limited 4X4 (mineral grey clearcoat) here, one of the last of the 7.3 Powerstroke Turbo-Diesels. Ford discontinued the factory 7.3L in its Excursion (retail to the public) during that model year; mine has less than 150,000 miles. I purchased it new, always garage it, and I'm its one and only owner. Seems like every third time my wife or I fill it, someone offers us close to what we paid for it in 2002. We've made trips to Washington, D.C., Florida, all over the midwest, etc. Best vehicle I've ever owned. Phenomenal torque, it pulls anything and everything. Moved my family, my son's family, hauls tons (literally) of hardwood pellets, firewood, pianos, moving trailers, etc. It almost never downshifts uphill - under load - even with the cruise control on at 75 miles per hour.

Needless to say, it's not for sale.

Last edited:

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2002 Ford Excursion Limited 4X4 (mineral grey clearcoat) here, one of the last of the 7.3 Powerstroke Turbo-Diesels. Ford discontinued the factory 7.3L in its Excursion (retail to the public) during that model year; mine has less than 150,000 miles. I purchased it new, always garage it, and I'm its one and only owner. Seems like every third time my wife or I fill it, someone offers us close to what we paid for it in 2002. We've made trips to Washington, D.C., Florida, all over the midwest, etc. Best vehicle I've ever owned. Phenomenal torque, it pulls anything and everything. Moved my family, my son's family, hauls tons (literally) of hardwood pellets, firewood, pianos, moving trailers, etc. It almost never downshifts uphill - under load - even with the cruise control on at 75 miles per hour.

Needless to say, it's not for sale.

The 7.3 is Ford's best diesel ever. I will give credit to the V10 as that's what both of mine and a 97 minibus had. They have really close to the same hp and torque of the diesel but quite a bit lighter. My 2001 had 86k when I bought it in 2007 and it is 36 ft long and just shy of 10k lbs empty. It ran the same whether empty or 22 people in it. You never pushed the pedal over an inch to 1.5 inch down and it went up any long hill the same as if it were empty.
More than enough power!