6000lbs tow capacity seems under rated!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trey Salsbury

Reaction score
I have 19’ exp w/o the max tow package and it seems like it only tows 6000? I came from a Grand Cherokee v6 that towed 6500lbs. For the life of me I can’t figure out why this full size SUV can only tow 6k.

I watched a YouTube video where a guy without the max tow was pulling a 7500lbs enclosed trailer with car inside. The truck seems to handle it just fine. Any thoughts ?

Zig10

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Tow package includes a deeper rear end and higher capacity cooling system. Might have bigger brakes, too, but I don't know that for sure.

These engines put out a ton of heat, and if you don't manage that it'll have a very short lifespan.

It'll likely survive just fine if you stay on flat ground, but if you're going to be climbing hills or pulling at high speeds it'll start to show up in a hurry.

theoneneo

Reaction score
I think the suv will handle it fine depending on how over weight you are. I would not go long distance if I’m over weight. I personally would not tow more than the limit. Other factors to consider other than weight are: length and trailer braking system.

On the heavy duty package, you get bigger radiator, 3.73diff, backup assist, brake controller, and two speed auto 4wd.
The first two items on the package helps relieve stress on the engine and transmission from towing.

Is it legal? That is another topic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
T

Trey Salsbury

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply's. I wanted to confirm towing is only 6000? I've googled it have also seen 6500lbs.

NyackRob79

Full Access Members
Reaction score
One word - heat dissipation. Towing 6000lb up a long hill will cause the engine to overheat with current light-duty radiator. HD Tow Package upgrades the radiator to dissipate that heat.

Why do they put a light duty radiator in the stock Expy, you ask? Cost, entry price point, and the fact that most people that drive an Expy (families) buy it for hauling people, not boats.

OP
OP
T

Trey Salsbury

Reaction score
Almost seems like price point is out the window at the price they get for these vehicles. Logically when you buy a “half ton pick up “you would expect to get more towing than that. I was just wondering if the consensus thinks they are under rating it in hopes that people will be forced to buy the $1500 heavy duty package?

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
One word - heat dissipation. Towing 6000lb up a long hill will cause the engine to overheat with current light-duty radiator. HD Tow Package upgrades the radiator to dissipate that heat.

Why do they put a light duty radiator in the stock Expy, you ask? Cost, entry price point, and the fact that most people that drive an Expy (families) buy it for hauling people, not boats.

excuse me sir that is two words

Expedition Dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Most modern cars/trucks are basically overbuilt for "that guy/gal" doing Mach 9 in the left lane, on 44 inch mudders, full of pregnant kids, carrying ice, concrete, sand, and towing the Nimitz on a 190 degree day, rolling 82 octane up-hill and two quarts low on oil...

But the auto manufacturers want their vehicles to last, so they limit their limitations for longevity and things you do they don't want you to do to keep lawyers, dealers, and you happy. The difference between the tow package and not the tow package is wrought with just enough to make the 3K pounds difference, but there are a lot of things the Expedition can do beyond it's spec sheets, but you begin to roam into uncharted territories where lawyers, insurance companies, state troopers, mechanics, and service managers swim...

Common sense (which is not common anymore) and the ECU management "limp home" mode may vary (YMMV).

Expedition Dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As a more serious follow-up, for a variety of reasons (which I am not sure of), the transmission cooler is buried within the radiator in the HD package (fellow car gurus here correct me if I misread an previous postings). We here don't even know if it is prudent/possible to "tap"" the 10-spd to add an additional oil cooler like in 'ye olden days to help cool the transmission.

But it is clear if you tow heavy/hot here and on F150 forums, the 10-spd trans temps easily get to around 240-250 (IIRC).

Heat=transmission fluid breakdown=trans early death.

TTBOMK, there is currently no easy, or cheap answer as far as lower gears, bigger radiators, more fans, louvered hoods, etc. existing at this juncture if you want to tow heavy w/o the HD tow pack.

But the difference from towing at 55mph down from 75mph is huge, or whether it is winter or summer, to even selecting the right gear to the best RPMs all these things play a factor.

YMMV

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goff69