63000 “certified” 3.5L eco boost replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Langer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey all, the warranty company is replacing my engine with a "certified" 63000 mile engine (it’s a 2017 with 97400 currently on the rest of the vehicle). Is there anything I should have them do to the truck with the engine out, while things are accessible?

Thanks in advance.

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would suggest, as you already know...to replace the turbo coolant hoses while they are out in the open. I'm going to leave it to the other guys for more.....but why are they replacing your 97K engine?

What happened to it?

Sorry for your pain though....this cannot be high on your list of "fun things to do" brother.

jeff
fwiw; my '17 has 115k ....so yes, I'm vested in your response LOL

OP
OP
L

Langer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would suggest, as you already know...to replace the turbo coolant hoses while they are out in the open. I'm going to leave it to the other guys for more.....but why are they replacing your 97K engine?

What happened to it?

Sorry for your pain though....this cannot be high on your list of "fun things to do" brother.

jeff
fwiw; my '17 has 115k ....so yes, I'm vested in your response LOL

At the end of April when I was almost home from a trip from FL (~1200 miles), I had a bad misfire, flashing CEL, reduced power, terrible clicking, etc. Thankfully this happened about a mile from my house, so I basically rolled home. Pulled up codes p0022-p, and p0306-c. It was still under warranty, so brought it in the next morning. Replacing coil 6 solved all the codes and the misfire/limping. However, even though no codes were present, and it ran well again, it still sounded BAD. While driving and the turbos spooled up, they were loud enough to not hear it, but at idle and if I revved it in neutral, it sounded like absolute shit. I thought it was maybe some chain slap situation like I’ve read about on here. I got it into Ford at 97400, I had put maybe another 800 miles on it from when the coil was fixed to being actually able to get the truck into Ford between my schedule and theirs.
They’re saying it’s a crankshaft rod knock. I don’t really know enough about the internals of the engine (mostly I’m a tinkerer and wrench turner), so I’m not really sure how something like this happens/develops, but their recommendation is new engine.

I’m not sure if there is a chicken or egg situation here, but I never noticed the truck sounding bad bad bad like that until after the misfire incident.

What I don’t love is that, while, yes, I’m getting a functioning engine that also has a decent amount fewer miles, I know nothing about its history, maintenance, etc. Guess I should still accept it as a victory when I got dealt a bad hand.

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’d like to know if #6 cylinder is the one with the knocking rod? If so I would say it’s linked somehow. It seems too coincidental.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey all, the warranty company is replacing my engine with a "certified" 63000 mile engine (it’s a 2017 with 97400 currently on the rest of the vehicle). Is there anything I should have them do to the truck with the engine out, while things are accessible?

Thanks in advance.

Do you have an aftermarket warranty? Does it specific that they can use a used part (or engine) to repair a defect? What is a certified engine with 63,000 miles on it (not knowing what maintenance was done to the engine)?

OP
OP
L

Langer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How many miles have you put on the vehicle, what oil and OCI were you doing?

I bought the truck used at ~47000 in January 2019, now at 97400. Been changing oil with full synth 5w30 every give or take 5000 miles.

OP
OP
L

Langer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do you have an aftermarket warranty? Does it specific that they can use a used part (or engine) to repair a defect? What is a certified engine with 63,000 miles on it (not knowing what maintenance was done to the engine)?

I got the warranty through Carvana when I bought it, we just had a new baby and my wife is still in training so I wanted to avoid any catastrophic failure costs (TG, I normally never would get an extended warranty). I’m interested in what “certified” entails, as well. Just found this all out yesterday evening, so details are sparse right now.

justinp16ex

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok, I was just curious. Sounds like a good maintenance schedule, maybe it lived a hard life before you bought it. There was a guy on the F-150 forum that had a bad knock, he pulled the oil pan in his driveway and found a bad rod bearing. He replaced all the bearings and that corrected the problem. He hadn't owned the vehicle long and appeared the failure was caused by poor oil maintenance. Lots of big chunky sludge in the oil pan. He never had the check engine light or anything and it still ran well it just knocked. Sounds like yours is a little more far gone than his was.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That sounds like a sorry warranty company. I would press for a new remanufactured (warranted) engine if you have that option. They're basically installing an engine of unknown history, that some junkyard swears was running when it was pulled. It's a feakin hand grenade and no better than the motor they're pulling out of your vehicle. I would dump the vehicle and the "warranty" and not deal with "Carvana" again.