7 pin wire harness HELP ME!!!!!!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

McRiver

Reaction score
I have a 2001 Expedition 4.6L, I currently have a flat 4 pin to hook up a trailer. I need a 7 pin so I can use my electric brakes on my trailer. For the life of me I cannot find a wire harness that fits or matches what was installed at the factory. I have the rectangular plug that is located around the spare tire. NAPA and Kragens just carry one that has a round plug. When I try to tell them that it doesn't match then they look at me like I have a crank growing out of my forehead!!!! So I finally went to the parking lot and pulled it off to show them. Then they just look at me even more puzzled than before!!!!

I found a harness at e-trailer that is for a F-150/250 that matches the same shape/style as the one I have. One plugs into the main wire harness the other plugs into exsisting 4 pin and then "T's" off into a 7 pin. Does anyone know if this will work???? E-trailer techs tell me NO, but if they are like all the other idiots that work at the parts stores in my area then I guess it will!?!?!

(Yes the Expy is wired for a 7 pin, I have the kit the dealer gave me when i bought it that has the brake controller harness, 2 relays, and 7 pin adapter which converts down to 4 pin)

Any help would be great before I waste anymore gas money and go crazy and then end up spending $145 at the Ford Dealer (and theirs probably is the wrong one as well)!!!!

Thanks!!

nvycrmn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i had the exact same problem just 2 weeks ago. i had a hitch from a 98 on my 2001 and of course, the connectors didnt fit. so i just pulled the 7pin off, bought a 4 pin, cut the connector off of the truck and wired it all in. you could probably do that as well. then just plug the 4 pin from the truck into a 7pin plug and voila. probably your best bet if you dont want to buy a whole new harness from ford. i checked as well, very pricey. can also check ebay.

nvycrmn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
from the sounds of it, that isnt what he's lookin for. he needs the one that connects to the existing wiring on the truck itself.