90 day navigation vs 3 years listed in order guide

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bbenz3

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They did the same thing with a few other features. Such as active park assist, if you upgrade to HD tow, you lost park assist.
More than likely this was a ploy to upsell people on the built-in Nav as an additional feature.
Ford's Nav is decent, but with so many great free ones that connect to your phone, and let you download maps when you don't have cell service, it's a hard sell to pay for the ford version.
I've driven to lots of forest mountain areas to go hiking and don't remember the last time I couldn't get cell service. At least once I made it back to main roads.

Gumby

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Because none of us have free navigation devices in our pockets... I feel the need to charge for such a feature quite pointless. I wish I could fully disable the built in nav and have it just use Google maps or Waze instead.
Imagine if they started charging for things like heated and cooled seats....OH WAIT

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've driven to lots of forest mountain areas to go hiking and don't remember the last time I couldn't get cell service. At least once I made it back to main roads.

By me there are a lot of dead zones, heavily populated area, but depending on topography you can easily find yourself with no cell coverage. If you drive 5 min in any direction you’ll get it back. But having the maps saved locally just makes the experience better/easier.
I use Here Maps. It’s a decent quality service, and maps are saved locally. Works with CarPlay also.

OP
OP
mrmustang

mrmustang

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just an FYI, this is being "researched" by FoMoCo customer service and satisfaction group. I'll report on what they decide, but doubt it will be in my favor at his time.

Bill

CGalex

Reaction score
be intrerest
Just an FYI, this is being "researched" by FoMoCo customer service and satisfaction group. I'll report on what they decide, but doubt it will be in my favor at his time.

it will be interesting to see how they handle this for you. I get a subscription model for updates but I feel like since it will still work based on last maps it downloads before subscription ends, how enticing is it to customers to keep it going after only 3 months? in those 3 months how much do roads really change in your day to day drive area that would make people think, oh I need to keep paying for these updates to roads that haven't changed in 90 days. now if you give someone 3 years of updates, roads have likely changed in your local area and your long distance destinations which would be more an incentive to resubscribe a year at a time since you would see the benefit of updates over time.

Alex

AJ82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
be intrerest

it will be interesting to see how they handle this for you. I get a subscription model for updates but I feel like since it will still work based on last maps it downloads before subscription ends, how enticing is it to customers to keep it going after only 3 months? in those 3 months how much do roads really change in your day to day drive area that would make people think, oh I need to keep paying for these updates to roads that haven't changed in 90 days. now if you give someone 3 years of updates, roads have likely changed in your local area and your long distance destinations which would be more an incentive to resubscribe a year at a time since you would see the benefit of updates over time.

Alex
The 90 day navigation no longer works after the 90 days unless you pay. It will show you a map but you can't search or use directions in it. So pretty much it is nerfed as a navigation. The built in 3 year one will still work as a navigation after 3 years you just won't get the map updates or live traffic.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
wait, for real? your navigation essentially stops working after 90 days unless you do a subscription? I hope people realize this "convenience" trend of subscriptions is just another way of ripping off consumers. I like how toyota is now starting to require a subscription to use remote start from a keyfob. I mean remote start from an App, i can sorta let slide, but from a key fob? Super BS

As far as updates are concerned, for now just use Cyanlabs if you need to.

AJ82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
wait, for real? your navigation essentially stops working after 90 days unless you do a subscription? I hope people realize this "convenience" trend of subscriptions is just another way of ripping off consumers. I like how toyota is now starting to require a subscription to use remote start from a keyfob. I mean remote start from an App, i can sorta let slide, but from a key fob? Super BS

As far as updates are concerned, for now just use Cyanlabs if you need to.
If you don't get the 3 year built in navigation then yes it ends after 90 days unless you pay.

Pretty sure I heard that one of the European brands (BMW, Audi, or Mercedes) was looking into a subscription model to use your heated seats. Talk about ridiculous.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yup, BMW already does in several countries, I believe Australia is next, and US was after that, but I believe that the uproar in the US postponed that a little. pretty soon we won't "own" anything. at this rate, and the wall street demand for recurring revenue will mean you'll need a subscription for everything.

And to be clear, I see that there are two different issues here. My very first car with navi required me to pay for map updates, but it absolutely never stopped working if i chose not to update.

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yup, BMW already does in several countries, I believe Australia is next, and US was after that, but I believe that the uproar in the US postponed that a little. pretty soon we won't "own" anything. at this rate, and the wall street demand for recurring revenue will mean you'll need a subscription for everything.

And to be clear, I see that there are two different issues here. My very first car with navi required me to pay for map updates, but it absolutely never stopped working if i chose not to update.

The 90 day navigation is not purchased, people with that "option" are not buying navigation built in, they are buying an app that enables them to have navigation.
The 3 year navigation on the other hand, people are paying up front to "buy" navigation, the 3 years enables updates and live traffic.

Also, the BMW issue is more complex than "they are charging for heated seats", yes, technically they are, every other brand that includes heated seats is also. Nothing is free. The key is "when" they charge for them.
No one would care if a hyundai window sticker "charged" for heated seats on an entry level trim. But the expectation is that a "premium" brand like BMW should include such features as they already charge a premium price as well. People can choose to "buy" heated seats for $400, or pay $18/month. Is BMW lowering the price of the car $400? no, would anyone notice if they did? Also, no. As a matter of fact, the materials and manufacture cost is the same for them. They are really just ******* off the person spending 75k because it's call it out separately.
For BMW a better option is "all cars now come standard with heated seats, and all cars now cost $800 more".