97 5.4L swap - what specific questions?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mrdougie

Reaction score
97 EB w/ 5.4L 4X4 @225K on it's last leg. I had the e4od trans rebuilt @ 192K and it's now @ 32K - just want to swap motor with a low time equivalent - what are the specific questions I should ask all the potential engine sales folks so I can be sure to get the precise match I need. I see a ton of posts about different & various match possibilities and don't want to get burnt by not knowing the "must haves". All I do know is that it has to be 97/98 expy or nav w/ 8th digit of vin is an "L". Thanks in advance - you guys rock!

jacks3am

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Get a 99 5.4 theyre the first year of Preformance improved heads and they also have a forged crank and they might even have forged pistons, also while you have the engine out you might as well fix the spark plug problems!

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have you considered a rebuild? I was quoted $1995 to do one head since a plug had ejected and for just shy of $4000 had it rebuilt w/ a 3 year/36K warranty to include all accessories (plugs/cops/water pump/hoses/timing chain . . .) I had kept up w/ all other maintenance, but who'd of thunk a plug would "burp"...little did I know. I was referred by the Ford Dealership since they were not in that market and this was the guy they used.

OP
OP
M

mrdougie

Reaction score
I just want to drop in a simple "ready to go" solution - can be stock or upgrade ("mod") but it's got to be the "right" fit. I'm not really wanting to put in all the effort just to come up short due to an application question that wasn't asked "precisely right". I've heard of too many $2500 rebuild scenarios that quickly skyrocketed to $4K+ because of this..then this..then this..then this....etc.... you know the routine!