'98 EB PATS key programming question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aveteam

Reaction score
I wasn't sure whether to post this here or in the Forscan sub-group, so mods please move if needed. I looked through the Forscan group and didn't see anything resembling this.

Since my wifes' Expy only has one key and no fobs since we bought it, I figured I'd try to program another key for it using Forscan and an OBDLink EX. In the Service Functions > PATS module menu, the only option it has is to read the keyless entry code, which is kind of pointless since it doesn't have keyless entry. No option to add a key, erase/program keys, etc,. as I saw when I previously ran it on my 2000 Explorer and also expected to see on the Expy. It did sucessfully go through the ~12 minute security access routine.
Am I doing something wrong? Is it too old to program keys this way and I'll just have to take it to a locksmith or heaven forbid a dealer? Anyone else here run into this?

The concern is obviously if something were to happen to the only key we have, we'd be kind of screwed without a spare.

I'll post screenshots if necessary.

I'm using Forscan 2.3.46.

Thanks for any advice and/or help!

tommyddsr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't believe FORSCAN will help you with a 98 and you will need two original keys to do it yourself. Sounds like a trip to the locksmith. My son lost his only key and it cost him $185 for the key, programming and the trip out for the locksmith. His was a 99.

OP
OP
A

aveteam

Reaction score
I don't believe FORSCAN will help you with a 98 and you will need two original keys to do it yourself. Sounds like a trip to the locksmith. My son lost his only key and it cost him $185 for the key, programming and the trip out for the locksmith. His was a 99.
Darn! I was hoping to get around this but it looks like a trip to the locksmith. Hopefully it won't be as much because we can still drive it there.

Thanks tommyddsr!

Gary Waugh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can go to Walmart or ace hardware and they will copy your single key and give you another, programmed with the exact same PATS code, so both work with your car, it costs about $40 per key. I did this with my 98 and had no issues at all, I now have 3 keys all with the same pats code, so the expo thinks I am always using the same key!!
hope that helps.

OP
OP
A

aveteam

Reaction score
You can go to Walmart or ace hardware and they will copy your single key and give you another, programmed with the exact same PATS code, so both work with your car, it costs about $40 per key. I did this with my 98 and had no issues at all, I now have 3 keys all with the same pats code, so the expo thinks I am always using the same key!!
hope that helps.
Good to know, thanks. Will these still work for the 2-key method for programming fobs?

Gary Waugh

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As stated, both ace and Walmart program the key as well as cutting it. Others might also program the key, but I know ace and Walmart both program and cut, which is why I suggested using them.