99 EB 5.4, crank/no start - help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
what prints are you looking at and why do you think you have no voltage on #18, #23 and #24 and BTW fuse #18 is also for the fuel pump and fuel injectors and without fuel the engine will not start

Now maybe you should have listened when you were asked to check fuel pressure.

It takes THREE things for a engine to start Actually 4 things it takes air, Fuel and Spark and the 4th item is good voltage You have 2 of the 4

The reason you don't have any voltage on 18, 23 AND 24 is due to the PCM relay not pulling in to allow voltage to those 3 fuses

Look at your prints and figure out why the PCM relay isn't pulling in. It is due to three things A bad PCM DIODE, or A bad relay, or a blown fuse. My money is on the fuse.
because you have already swapped the relay and diode.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check fuse 111 in the battery junction box - it is hot at all times - need voltage reading

If above passes, check fuse 30 in the central junction box, ign on run - need voltage reading

If those pass with battery voltage, check the socket for the pcm power relay blade 86 with relay removed. Should read battery voltage with ign in run.
Relays are usually marked with the blade numbers. If not, bedrck or I can give you the location.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

dd350

Reaction score
Fuse 111 was good and read 12v. Blade 86 of relay 304 was 0.0v in Run. Fuse 30 was good, but I forgot to check voltage reading, I'll go back and check it again first thing in the morning.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Pull relay 304 and insert you voltmeter into pins 85 and 86 turn the key to run and see if you read 12 volts.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You are checking for the presence of voltage at the socket the relay plugs into, not the relay once it is removed from the socket.
Normally Ford supplies power on blade 86 and according to the diagram that still holds true.

If fuse 30 has voltage on both sides and the socket doesn't at 86, then pull the pcm diode out of it's socket and check for voltage there.

Does your meter have a setting for testing diodes?

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What you need to do is put one lead in the slot for pin 86 and the other lead in the slot for pin 85 and with the key on you should read 12 volts

OP
OP
D

dd350

Reaction score
Ok, fuse 30 had 12v on both sides. PCM diode 501 had 0.0v on both sides. The voltage on pin 86 was 0.0v.