A/C Odor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

drjeff

Reaction score
Less than 2k mileage but getting a sour smell from the A/C. Anyone else having this issue and how can it be fixed?

Scottorama

Full Access Members
Reaction score
With the engine on, turn the AC fan on high, and then spray Lysol in the air intake. This will kill anything inside the system.

Not sure if the Expedition has a cabin air filter or not. If it does, that needs to be removed before spraying Lysol. Put the filter back in when done.

This works on any vehicle. Usually do all my vehicles every spring, and that fixes the issue for about a year.

OP
OP
D

drjeff

Reaction score
Thanks...dealer just told me they will deodorize once under warranty. Also, keep A/C off re-circulation to let condensation vent to outside and to turn off A/C and run fan high before shutting off engine. Yes, Exp has cabin air filter.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Now that is funny - a humidity issue in Arizona.
Check and make sure the condensate drain isn't plugged while the ac is on. You should see the water dripping. If it is plugged then it is a dealer problem under warranty.

The condensate will drip to the exterior regardless of settings. On max ac it would drip less as the interior humidity level drops compared to any fresh air setting.

Your dealer is shoveling manure in your direction.

OP
OP
D

drjeff

Reaction score
Thank you for your information on the drain. Humidity is 8% today up from 4%. Can't imagine dealer would lead me astray. LOL

Spoiledhappywife

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Less than 2k mileage but getting a sour smell from the A/C. Anyone else having this issue and how can it be fixed?

From our Lincoln store we have a car deodorizer. Its like fumigating your car. I was going to give it to my dad who smokes cigars in his work truck (yuck) just so his boss cannot detect the smell. It works! Since you are in AZ, are you in Phoenix area?