A couple of questions on the expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Gabriel99

Reaction score
Hey i recently got a 1998 Expedition xlt with a 4.6 2wd and i had a couple of questions about it. Sorry if i come off as ignorant i just dont know and want to learn more about my car! thanks .
1.) do all expeditions have key less entry?
2.) do all expeditions have the auto dimming slider
3.) do f150 2wd long tube headers fit on the expedition as long as they are for the 4.6 and same year?
4.) what are some other things i should know about the expedition
5.) is there any way of lifting the 2wd verisons? as well as what are some nice shocks to improve ride quality

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
His is 2wd..... it’s a car.....

1) don’t know
2) don’t know
3) yes.
4) probably
5) 2wd’s are easier to lift than 4wd. Spindle lift, springs......

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All Expeditions are cars technically, at least that’s what I’ve been told by pickup drivers LOL. SUV is the correct term, it’s a truck based suv. I refer to my 07’ 4WD as a truck often but I’m incorrect. I also refer to it as a car as well occasionally. Pickup drivers always get offended when you call these a truck....

A truck is defined as having a flat loading surface. Although our cars or trucks or whatever you call it are actually much heavier than your typical truck. I had a guy get angry with me discussing curb weights and his manhood threatened when he realized my Expedition is 750 pounds heavier than his F-150!

Last edited:

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
1.) do all expeditions have key less entry?

No, not all had keyless. Easiest way to find out if yours is equipped is to insert the key into ignition and turn it on to accessory and then back to off -- do this somewhat rapidly, 8 on/off cycles within 10 seconds. If the truck was equipped with keyless entry, then after the 8th on/off cycle the door locks will cycle themselves and you'll hear a tone.

2.) do all expeditions have the auto dimming slider

No. If you don't have keyless entry above, then you probably don't have autolamps. You are talking about the second wheel next to the dimmer wheel in the headlight switch assembly, right?

3.) do f150 2wd long tube headers fit on the expedition as long as they are for the 4.6 and same year?

Not sure

4.) what are some other things i should know about the expedition

You shouldn't lift a 2WD.

5.) is there any way of lifting the 2wd verisons? as well as what are some nice shocks to improve ride quality

See #4.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
All Expeditions are cars technically, at least that’s what I’ve been told by pickup drivers LOL. SUV is the correct term, it’s a truck based suv. I refer to my 07’ 4WD as a truck often but I’m incorrect. I also refer to it as a car as well occasionally. Pickup drivers always get offended when you call these a truck....

A truck is defined as having a flat loading surface. Although our cars or trucks or whatever you call it are actually much heavier than your typical truck. I had a guy get angry with me discussing curb weights and his manhood threatened when he realized my Expedition is 750 pounds heavier than his F-150!

So.... is a pickup with a "camper" still a truck?

Is an Expedition with seats folded and a tarp laid down a truck? Does it matter that a real roof makes a better camper?

PS f150 doors are undeniably cooler, though

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Expedition interiors are so much nicer than the F-150 though, at least on 2nd and 3rd gens. Not familiar with gen 1. We get a lot of Super Duty styling and panels instead of F-150 ones. We also get washer fluid indicator, separate tweeters standard etc.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Why shouldn't you lift a 2wd? Just personal preference?
They all look better up higher with bigger square cut tires.