A Dying Breed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CyberVinnie

Reaction score
I’ve come to bid farewell to the Expy forum as I just signed the paperwork to sell mine. I don’t regret the three years of ownership (it swallowed everything I shoved into it) although to say the fuel economy was disappointing would rate in the top 5 understatements in history.

It’s a slightly more sentimental moment once I realized it is almost certainly the last ICE vehicle I will purchase brand new. The only brand new vehicle I’d buy today is an EV (I’m curious what Ford will do with their investment/partnership with Rivian).

In the meantime, I have Weathertech front and middle floor mats, an LED third taillight, and OEM taillights that have been professionally tinted available for sale!

DM me,
Vin

View media item 6591

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’ve come to bid farewell to the Expy forum as I just signed the paperwork to sell mine. I don’t regret the three years of ownership (it swallowed everything I shoved into it) although to say the fuel economy was disappointing would rate in the top 5 understatements in history.

It’s a slightly more sentimental moment once I realized it is almost certainly the last ICE vehicle I will purchase brand new. The only brand new vehicle I’d buy today is an EV (I’m curious what Ford will do with their investment/partnership with Rivian).

In the meantime, I have Weathertech front and middle floor mats, an LED third taillight, and OEM taillights that have been professionally tinted available for sale!

DM me,
Vin

View media item 6591
What is ICE and EV ? and isn't there a market section in here somewhere?

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Internal Combustion Engine and Electric Vehicle...

I feel like it's going to be a good long wait for anything like an expedition to be offered at less than low 6 figures to start in EV trim. If it didn't cost nearly as much as the house I'd be down for one but can't have everything.

Not a jab at you OP, just something I see frequently.

I'm always confused when people complain that a 3 ton body on frame vehicle w a large displacement or in this case twin turbo motor gets poor fuel economy. If people would buy what they need rather than what they want this wouldnt happen in most cases but people like to feel safe or like the space or it's great in the winter, etc and a solo driver is frequently found cruising in a baby bus. Plenty of vehicles fill those roles that are far more efficient than anything in this class. I'm guilty of solo driving for work but we have a 6 person family and not having the good fortune of owning a pair of $90k a pop 2020 models we have a pair of older vehicles that either could fill the role of family hauler ahold one go down for maintenance as its not feasible to have a 3rd financially, well not smart anyway. If I wanted to contribute $0 to savings, 401k or kids college I could but that's another argument...

Boils down to they know what they signed up for, ot says right on the sticker the mpg is horrendous. You still bought it.

Our navigator is averaging about 10mpg 100% city w a lot of idling the way things are currently running in the world and lives on premium. I knew this going in and so far I've put one tank of gas in over the course of 5 weeks. No worries.

Last edited:

coupe11

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wanted the big long Expedition and that's what we bought. Room for us, room for the kids, room for their kids, room for our stuff for the weekend and we'll be comfortable while driving there.

I knew the gas mileage wouldn't be equal to the Outlander or even my Coupe. But it's about the same as my 1/2 ton truck and sometimes 1 mpg better, so how can I complain?

OP, hope you don't get rid of a good vehicle only to find a few months later that you really need that big thing you sold/traded.

Good luck.

Mmart

Reaction score
Some folks just buy what they want simply because it’s what they want. I’ve never had delusions of efficient gas mileage with my vehicle choices. In the old days (a few months ago) I took public transportation to work, so I don’t really “need” to own a large SUV. The expedition is a highly functional toy that compliments the things I like to do in life. If I commuted 50-60 miles a day I’d probably have something more efficient. EV’s aren’t a practical solution just yet. At least not where I live. No place to charge them, especially when you don’t have a driveway or a garage. So why are you “guilty” of solo driving? Did you not want this vehicle When you got it?

Aspen03

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Some folks just buy what they want simply because it’s what they want. I’ve never had delusions of efficient gas mileage with my vehicle choices. In the old days (a few months ago) I took public transportation to work, so I don’t really “need” to own a large SUV. The expedition is a highly functional toy that compliments the things I like to do in life. If I commuted 50-60 miles a day I’d probably have something more efficient. EV’s aren’t a practical solution just yet. At least not where I live. No place to charge them, especially when you don’t have a driveway or a garage. So why are you “guilty” of solo driving? Did you not want this vehicle When you got it?

If we didnt have a large family, I almost certainly wouldn't own an expedition, it would be a tremendous waste of resources both environmentally and economically on my end. I'd much rather rent a shiny new one when the need would arise and have a more enjoyable experience. I've driven something turbo or supercharged most of my life...paid dearly for that when I first started driving in insurance too and miss the fun/handling along w the meets and community that usually goes with. I eyeballed a very nice supercharged gator but at 7k over what one of similar year and condition would net it didn't make sense and would have had to be a full cash purchase as no one on earth would loan on that.

Ability to pick any car I'd probably go for a Model S P100D. They're an absolute blast to drive have more than enough range for 98% of my typical driving habits. When I needed a ton of space or wanted to drive across the country unhindered I'd rent a 2020 navigator L if possible. Life problems solved. Lol.

Everyone likes to knock EV for range/practicality but I know exactly one person out of probably 250 people where a 300mi daily range wouldn't suffice. For most people a simple garage plug in would top off the daily use and almost never need to charge 0-100% unless it was a one off. I drive across the city and my daily commute is only 52mi, I could make an entire week on a charge in most any modern EV. Being in the midwest I dont think I know a single person who doesnt have at least a driveway or garage to park at that doesnt have a source of power. I know that's not realistic everywhere but seems crazy someone would have literally no means of power aside from maybe being in a parking garage in a high rise or something but the few I know like that would never have a massive vehicle anyway. I could only imagine trying to maneuver a 20ft vehicle in/out of one.

Last edited:
OP
OP
CyberVinnie

CyberVinnie

Reaction score
Aspen, I’ve never paid more than $51k for a vehicle in my life.

As far as MPG expectations go, yes, I was hoping a smaller displacement engine would out perform “the winner, and STILL King of Fuel-inefficiency” 5.9 L Durango I had back in the dotcom days (yes, I’m that old). The Dodge won it by a .9 mpg margin over the Expy.

None of this is to say I disliked the Expy. Granted, because of the savings I went with a gen 3, which I never really loved, even after seeing the gen 4, which is incrementally better, so I accepted what I was getting into.

The bottom line is a little more than a year of my wife driving a Chevy Bolt has made me a convert to the torque-on-demand wonder of EVs. And don’t get me started on one-petal driving (suffice to say it’s a paradigm shift).

The Expy was my seventh Ford, and I am hopeful that through their partnership with Rivian, it won’t be my last.

Vin

Oh, btw sixstring, if you love the Tesla, I encourage you to the a ride in an I Pace. It may not rival Ludicrous Mode, but there is no comparison when it comes to luxury.

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I sure hope you are wrong about the dying breed thing (meaning internal combustion engine). I personally think electric vehicles will cause as much environmental damage as gasoline and Diesel engines have over time and maybe even more. I have often wondered what would be going on in this world if we didn’t tap into the oil and use it. It’s hard for me to believe that if we didn’t use or harvest this earths oil (especially the amounts that we use on a daily basis) that we wouldn’t have oil geysers shooting out of the ground contaminating our soil,water, causing fires, etc.....Quite often man has thought he is doing something for the good of mankind and has been totally wrong. Just my thoughts. There rarely is an easy fool proof solution but sometimes if it sounds good and feels good then we buy it hook line and sinker.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I sure hope you are wrong about the dying breed thing (meaning internal combustion engine). I personally think electric vehicles will cause as much environmental damage as gasoline and Diesel engines have over time and maybe even more. I have often wondered what would be going on in this world if we didn’t tap into the oil and use it. It’s hard for me to believe that if we didn’t use or harvest this earths oil (especially the amounts that we use on a daily basis) that we wouldn’t have oil geysers shooting out of the ground contaminating our soil,water, causing fires, etc.....Quite often man has thought he is doing something for the good of mankind and has been totally wrong. Just my thoughts. There rarely is an easy fool proof solution but sometimes if it sounds good and feels good then we buy it hook line and sinker.
It's not dying for a long while anyway and that is only if the electric ones take off.