A happy original owner....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NickPap

Reaction score
Just hit the magic 250,000 mile mark-bought it in October, 1999. Only problem is, as so many of you have pointed out, the odometer constantly goes out because of the defective soldering on the lead-I had to pound the dash to get the miles to show!!! It has survived TWO teenage sons driving to school. Ford knows how to make a V8. The ad valorem tax every year is now lower than the tag fee. Who else is the original owner and has more miles?upload_2018-8-13_13-33-42.jpeg

BOB4254

Reaction score
1998 Expedition XLT 92,000 miles. My 1998 XLT was bought new as my first SUV and as a second auto. I take very good care of her and has given me good service. Twenty years old, she looks new off of the assembly line.

Last edited:

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Besides the stupid lack of threads for the spark plugs, the first editions we're probably the most trouble free. I've had mine for almost 4 years now, bought with low mileage. Except for a starter, and an a couple of front end parts, it's been the nicest vehicle I've owned, and I've owned close to 20. The 3 valve motors we're plagued with the cam phasers, and broken spark plugs, each following year had something. They finally got it close after 2010 or so.It's too bad they couldn't have made a three valver that didn't use the phasers, and had the right plugs/ oiling, etc. Then you'd have a 310-320 horsepower vehicle, thats as dependable as a Toyota!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

rhogan308

Reaction score
Just rolled over 406,000 yesterday. Bought her new with 13 original miles back on 02. Original engine and transmission. Nothing but routine maintenance, numerous brake pads and batteries, an alternator, and a starter. Engine and transmission have been married the whole time, no separations. Daily driver.

20180820_133348.jpg

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Go's to show what clean living will get ya! Your SUVs the equivalent of a 90 year old man, that still has all his teeth, and no heart conditions. Pretty good guy! Those clean fluids have a lot to do with it.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

98eb5.4

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just rolled over 406,000 yesterday. Bought her new with 13 original miles back on 02. Original engine and transmission. Nothing but routine maintenance, numerous brake pads and batteries, an alternator, and a starter. Engine and transmission have been married the whole time, no separations. Daily driver.

View attachment 26335
haven't seen/heard anyone top that, i gotta do my rear end at 320,

afaik, alum intake is original

and0r

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I am the 2nd owner of a 99 EB, and I can definitely attest to this vehicle being perfect. The exterior aesthetics are perhaps Fords worst, and many people judge based on them. But man, everything else sure is right. Damn truck is a masterpiece. My only one single complaint are the turn signals. The signal switch will mechanically reset at the slightest turn of the steering wheel. Typically the range in which the signal will turn itself off is at least twice as wide on other vehicles. I often find myself holding onto the signal bar when getting into a turn lane, just so it won't reset. A minor annoyance. Oh and the solder, or brazing job on the rear muffler box has turned black and corroded, even though all the tubing and undercarriage are crystal clean and shiny like new (southern CA truck), that one brazen weld on the muffler is bad, but it only makes the truck sound better once warmed up. It gives it a very girthy tone. Though on cold start the sound will resonate improperly, there is absolutely nothing wrong, but it sounds like slappy valves and poor timing only because the sound is slightly out of sync with the engine. The muffler box is all the way in the rear and the actual sound which protrudes fourth bounces around before making its way out! :)

Last edited: