A warning…

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Vdubnick

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For those of you that recall I did a timing job to my 5.4 almost 2 years ago. I just wanted to let you all know the factory tensioners have failed again as of about 1.5 years of service and the chain slaps around very badly on startup. the truck going to the boneyard anyway because the transmission issues. The tensioners were Ford OEM and torqued to spec with a torque wrench. For any of you doing that job in the future I’d highly recommend skipping the factory style o-ring ones. I questioned this many times—how can the O-ring handle a new strong oil pump feeding it? Well the answer is it can’t. It will happen all over again. That’s why I was flat out against the Melling pump. Anyway, I’m done with the 3rd gens and the rusty rockers, the engine problems. Shopping for a new vehicle and never looking back. Just thought I’d share with any of you doing that horrendous job—get ratcheting tensioners.
shit, why didnt you post this a month ago lol.... just finished mine

did you take it apart to verify the failure, or just going off of sound? i havent seen any other posts of the new style failing. I too have concerns with the added pressure, especially with the new rollers having pin holes versus wide open holes that will keep more back pressure, but then i remember that the mustang uses the same tensioners and higher pressure pump (80 vs 60psi).

I am curious how the gasket fails on the new ones, the old gaskest seemed like a flat/platic gasket that just slid out, the new one is more silicone/thick and the groove seemed bigger.

Last edited:

Vdubnick

Full Access Members
Reaction score
the plastic tensioners have a spring, i do not believe they actually hold any oil pressure while engine is off (if there was, it would leak out the rocker/rollers or somewhere else down the line). maybe they fixed one issue and put a cheap spring in that failed.

proftomda

Reaction score
Totally feel your pain. Absolutely opt for the cast iron ratcheting tensioner‘s. I installed the cast iron tensioners 5 years ago when I did the timing job on my sons 08 f150 and it’s totally silent to this day. Still have the “improved” Ford plastic tensioners new in a box in my shop but one look and you can see there is no way they will as reliable as the good old cast iron ones. BTW changing the oil pump to a Melling always a smart idea.

Vdubnick

Full Access Members
Reaction score
OP, do you have pics of the tensioners? i am curious what the new seal blowout looks like, i havent seen anyone else having the same issue with the latest plastic version. I wonder if you have something else going on. also, reading on the mustang forums that while the cast iron tensioners dont have seals to blow out, they also dont seal up fully and leak a little, causing the VCT issues still.

Last edited:

proftomda

Reaction score
I have had the cast iron ratcheting tensioners installed for 5 years and absolutely no VCT phaser issues. I also have the Melling pump.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
OP, do you have pics of the tensioners? i am curious what the new seal blowout looks like, i havent seen anyone else having the same issue with the latest plastic version. I wonder if you have something else going on. also, reading on the mustang forums that while the cast iron tensioners dont have seals to blow out, they also dont seal up fully and leak a little, causing the VCT issues still.
No pics, I’m not opening it up. I’d assume it failed just like the old ones, heat and cool cycles hardens the once soft seal bead then oil pressure blows a chunk of the seal out and p*sses oil out the block.

Vdubnick

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No pics, I’m not opening it up. I’d assume it failed just like the old ones, heat and cool cycles hardens the once soft seal bead then oil pressure blows a chunk of the seal out and p*sses oil out the block.
big assumption to make, especially since it doesnt seem like there are any other posts of new ones failing, but tons of the old.... I would verify before I go posting unknown failures.
chain slap could be something else failed. did you get OE parts from a dealer or ebay/amazon etc?

Vdubnick

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have had the cast iron ratcheting tensioners installed for 5 years and absolutely no VCT phaser issues. I also have the Melling pump.
good to know, i will worry about it more when i see more than one post about the new design ones failing. i never had chain slap issues with the old ones, just bad timing/power under load.