A warning…

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
For those of you that recall I did a timing job to my 5.4 almost 2 years ago. I just wanted to let you all know the factory tensioners have failed again as of about 1.5 years of service and the chain slaps around very badly on startup. the truck going to the boneyard anyway because the transmission issues. The tensioners were Ford OEM and torqued to spec with a torque wrench. For any of you doing that job in the future I’d highly recommend skipping the factory style o-ring ones. I questioned this many times—how can the O-ring handle a new strong oil pump feeding it? Well the answer is it can’t. It will happen all over again. That’s why I was flat out against the Melling pump. Anyway, I’m done with the 3rd gens and the rusty rockers, the engine problems. Shopping for a new vehicle and never looking back. Just thought I’d share with any of you doing that horrendous job—get ratcheting tensioners.

Last edited:

Langer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For those of you that recall I did a timing job to my 5.4 almost 2 years ago. I just wanted to let you all know the factory tensioners have failed again as of about 1.5 years of service and the chain slaps around very badly on startup. the truck going to the boneyard anyway because the transmission issues. The tensioners were Ford OEM and torqued to spec with a torque wrench. For any of you doing that job in the future I’d highly recommend skipping the factory style o-ring ones. I questioned this many times—how can the O-ring handle a new strong oil pump feeding it? Well the answer is it can’t. It will happen all over again. That’s why I was flat out against the Melling pump. Anyway, I’m done with the 3rd gens and the rusty rockers, the engine problems. Shopping for a new vehicle and never looking back. Just thought I’d share with any of you doing that horrendous job—get ratcheting tensioners.
Major bummer! What was going on with your trans? Didn’t your have it rebuilt or replaced or something before you did the timing job?

Andy Rubalcaba

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm currently prepping for my timing job. There are tensioner options besides the ones that come with the timing kit?

I kind of question the meiling pump too, but more or less because I question the need for a new oil pump. I haven't really read around though if it's something that is unreliable after a certain age or mileage. perhaps just replace it with a factory one you think?

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used a factory oil pump and it was strong enough to blow out the gaskets on new tensioners, I think the Melling would have blown them out in a matter of 6 months lol. Yes there are steel machined ratcheting tensioners they used on early 2 valve engines. The later 2 valve and then 3 valves use the plastic tensioners that blow out. If you get the ratcheting tensioners the Melling pump should be fine.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
I truly feel your pain. That's a horrible lesson to learn, but all too typical of today's engineering and parts. I wish you better luck in your future endeavors. Thanks for sharing a lesson learned. Let us know what new truck you find and how it compares. Hope you're still with us on this Ford site. It's been nice hearing from you.

OP
OP
JExpedition07

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately it’s not even the engineers per say. They are told what to make and at what price by bean counters and are often directed to design junk. That’s why I laugh at the keyboard warriors who say “the engineers know better than us they did a good job”…oh they do, and they would not have designed a plastic effing tensioner if it was up to them. They designed a few options and Ford chose the cheapest option they put forth. They knew it was junk, they just didn’t have a choice.

Last edited:

mr_dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree. The choice to use plastic with tiny rubber gaskets on such a critical component, knowing there would be significant failures, just to save literally pennies, is ridiculous and insulting to be honest. My previous vehicles were mostly German and Japanese and they certainly had their own quirks and issues, but they would never allow such a compromise like these tensioners to happen.

cheetah577

Reaction score
I should check this forum more often. My 2011 Exepdition with 204,000 miles jumped the timing chain on the left bank and the valves went into the pistons. As a result, I get to buy a new motor. I have been meticulous with my maintenance and I had no evidence my chain was loose. Apparently, this is a common issue in the Gen3 Expeditions. Is there any Ford motor that will last more than 10 years?
Thanks!