ABS Bypass?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bruce Mitchell

Reaction score
Hey, y'all -

'99 EB 5.4 AWD/4WD. Replaced ABS module about 9 months ago. ABS module is bad again. Can't locate any NOS parts; not wild about installing another salvage part.

Anybody know if an ABS Bypass kit is available- and if so, where I might buy one?

(I really don't need ABS, having learned how to drive in Winter in Wisconsin way before ABS was a thing...)

Thanks, folks!

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There are some companies on line who can rebuild the electronic module. Mine is destined for that as well. The error code for mine implicated a power problem. I had put this off thinking it was a weak battery. I now have a new battery and same problem. I have yet to check the continuity of the power and ground.

The problem is either the vehicle wiring or cold solder inside the module. I am betting on cold solder because manufacturers stopped using 60/40 lead/tin solder.

Despite your driving skills, I would send the module off for repair, less than 200 bucks. You are paying for postage both ways, opening a tightly glued hermetically sealed module, refreshing solder and gluing the module back together.

You really don't want to suffer understeer or oversteer in these big heavy boxes.

JamaicaJoe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check e-bay for services.
This is search criteria I used.

abs module repair 2001 Ford Expedition XLT Sport Utility 4-Door 4.6L

abs module repair is what I typed in, the model and year was appended by e-bay when it asked to search by model.

You might want to check the part number on your ABS module. The electronic module is screwed to the pump and manifold with four screws. The connector for the wires has a slide lock that needs to be pulled to the passenger side to release the plug. Some WD-40 to clean and loosen it up may be in order as they get grimy and hard to retract.