Ac not cold at idle or around town

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

03xlt54

Reaction score
I have had basically the whole ac system replaced within the past year. New condenser, accumulator/dryer, new expansion valves and a new compressor. The Ac will warm up to 60+ when sitting at idle within minutes. Most of the time driving around town it wont go below 50 degrees if you keep moving. Once you stop, it starts warming up quickly. On the freeway @ 75 it will get down to 37 or so but its just too warm at idle.

What I am wondering is if since I bought a cheapo compressor instead of the Ford compressor, is this compressor just weak? The above temps I listed are all 100-110 degrees. I plan on swapping to a 2010 expedition efan, which will help at idle, but I just want to know if I wasted my time by trying to save a buck getting this cheaper compressor. I also fixed the vacuum line that feeds the hot water valve hoping that would correct the issue but it did not.

I do have some Harbor Freight gauges and at 95 degrees the high was around 240 and the low was 60 or so.

2003 XLT 5.4 manual ac

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Welcome to the site.

Who did the work?
What is the static pressure and the ambient temp when you take the reading?
How was it recharged - by weight or by pressures?
Are you sure the fan clutch is working correctly?

OP
OP

03xlt54

Reaction score
Welcome to the site.

Who did the work?
What is the static pressure and the ambient temp when you take the reading?
How was it recharged - by weight or by pressures?
Are you sure the fan clutch is working correctly?

Fan clutch replaced with the compressor. Fan clutch works.. I can watch the ac temp go down on the thermometer when I hold it at 1500rpm.

A small shop here in town.. I know the guy does decent work.

240 high 60 low 95 which was two weeks ago.

I’m not sure how he measured how much Freon.. he uses a machine so I’m guess by lbs so he can charge accordingly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP

03xlt54

Reaction score
Btw thanks for the welcome! Been lurking for awhile.. glad to have this forum!

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would have the system reclaimed and note the amount of oil removed. Then recharge to factory specs including the oil amount and take pressure readings again.

Your pressures are higher than what we normally shoot for. We usually teach the students to run the low side pressure just above 32 (freezing) at high idle. Low side pressure will be very close to evap air temp when running.

I'm running my low side at 35, high is around 225.

Air flow through the condenser will effect both high & low pressures. Lower air flow equals higher readings.

Last edited:
OP
OP

03xlt54

Reaction score
Yeah.. that’s what I was thinking. Well that I should take it somewhere else to have them evacuate and recharge. Thanks for the help!

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Maybe backflush and replace coolant?

ECU will cut A/C if engine temps run high

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That wouldn't explain the high pressure readings since the system pressures will balance when the compressor is off after a few minutes.

OP
OP

03xlt54

Reaction score
Maybe backflush and replace coolant?

ECU will cut A/C if engine temps run high

The top end of the motor is fresh.. so new coolant and the compressor is not cycling.

theoldwizard1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Very interesting ! I would have said there was a restriction in the system but you have replaced the expansion valve and condenser so that is not likely (unless there is a kink in a metal line somewhere).

You need to see if some "safety" switch is turning off the clutch.