AC Pressures within spec but not cooling sufficiently. :-(

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BRIANGEE

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I have this 2003 Exp that appears to be operating within it's specs for AC but is not cooling sufficiently.

High side = 217psi
Low side = 62 psi
Ambient Temp = 100F
Vent temp = 70f

According to Ford's service manual this is within the normal operating ranges. According to SOME online charts this is also acceptable however I've found quite a few common charts that state the high side should be more in the 340 psi range.

If the 340 psi value is correct it would seem the compressor is a little weak perhaps?

What do you all think?

P.S. The system is currently charged to factory spec of 54 oz for a front and back AC system. I made sure it was charged to spec prior to further diagnosing.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
According to the charts the low side pressure is a little high and the high side pressure is low.

Any work been done to it recently - system opened up?
Oil added/removed?
AC Pro ever been added?
Working in the shade or out in the sun?

OP
OP
BRIANGEE

BRIANGEE

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Any work been done to it recently - system opened up?

Yes, for recharge. System vacuumed, and refilled with factory specified charge by weight.

Oil added/removed?
No.

AC Pro ever been added?
Unknown.

Working in the shade or out in the sun?
The pressures measured were on an overcast day.

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Try cleaning the evaporator coils. Your high side pressure is ok because it's 2 to 2.5 times the ambient temperature.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Honestly it sounds like a lame compressor. My '03 has a low side of 40 and high side of 250-300 psi at 90 degrees ambient. It's the original compressor, no leaks. Do you know if yours is the original compressor? Or what started this AC project in the first place ?

-Mike

OP
OP
BRIANGEE

BRIANGEE

Full Access Members
Reaction score
leaks. Do you know if yours is the original compressor? Or what started this AC project in the first place ?

-Mike

Just bought this used... owner said he changed the compressor out 5 years ago. So I bought it rolling the dice that it was just undercharged.

OP
OP
BRIANGEE

BRIANGEE

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Holding a rev at 1500 rpm's the pressures become:

45 low
250 high

SMichaelG2

Reaction score
Does it get cold at first, then gets warm? Could be the heater core valve staying open. I would feel the return line from the evaporator and see if it is cold. You also could have a faulty expansion valve. Are both ACs running hot?

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Holding a rev at 1500 rpm's the pressures become:

45 low
250 high

That's a little better. Is neither the front or back unit putting out cold air? Feel the evaporator piping and see if it's cold. If neither unit is cold just give it a little more freon and see how it does. Does the compressor look like it's been replaced ? Is there dye in the system, where you can look for leaks with a black light ? The hot water valve needs vacuum to stay closed. If the vacuum is taken away the valve opens. Make sure that the vacuum line to the hot water valve is in fact connected and there's vacuum on it when you're asking for cold air.

-Mike

OP
OP
BRIANGEE

BRIANGEE

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Front and back put out a steady 72F at it's best. Suction line is cool to the touch.

When I switch to heat the blend doors activate fine and I only get heat. Would the vacuum line still be suspect?
I'm not sure where the heater core vacuum line is... is that the 2nd vacuum line that enters the passenger side firewall (next to the line that controls the main front vents / defrost blend doors?).

To the other questions:

Yes, previous owner replaced the compressor five years ago. Yes there is dye in the system. No leaks. The system holds a vacuum.