Accident - repair costs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BC_MAX

Reaction score
Hi all,

Long time lurker, first time poster. Our 2013 Expy Max Limited was hit on the side yesterday by a guy going about 60 km/h in a crew cab truck with a moose bar on the front. Needless to say we lost the battle.

Good news is our trucks are tough & safe and everyone is ok. Amazing there was no damage to the passenger compartment whatsoever despite the exterior.

I have been trying to research what the repairs might be work to see if they will write off the truck. I get up to $30k pretty quick. Anyone have experience?

• 5 air bags went - drivers window, pass window, pass seat, both rear curtains. (5 bags)
  • the rear fold our window clip broke
  • all the other damage is visible, both doors, rear quarter, running board not sure on the frame which is an obvious big one.

Although it drove the insurance company towed it. Its in for an estimate tomorrow. Guess we will see!

(and yes that is hockey stick tape holding up the running board!)

Attachments

• thumb_IMG_0586_1024.jpg
    thumb_IMG_0586_1024.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 81
  • thumb_IMG_0588_1024.jpg
    thumb_IMG_0588_1024.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 65
  • thumb_IMG_0591_1024.jpg
    thumb_IMG_0591_1024.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:

spotdog14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looks totaled to me unfortunately. When that many air bags go off its not a good sign. Have you checked the frame, it might be bent in the area of the impact.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You know you are Canadian when you carry hockey stick tape in the car with you.

I'll agree it is likely going to be a total loss. It looks to me like the B-pillar had some movement. Tweaked shell is nearly guaranteed loss. Glad to hear you & your family were not injured. With that, hope you'll buy another Expedition.

OP
OP
B

BC_MAX

Reaction score
Thanks guys, yeah, I do not see it looking good either. It's at the repair shop for an estimate for ICBC (Government Insurance in BC). So we will see what comes of it.

bertro

Full Access Members
Reaction score
if it's a total loss, don't let them lowball you on the value. go online and find as many comparables as possible to get a fair price.

OP
OP
B

BC_MAX

Reaction score
I have checked all the major Canadian cites and there are very few MAX's for sale...the only 2014 found was here in Vancouver for $50k, found a 2011 for $34k. (CND $$ prices) Plus we are lucky as we have no salt/sand etc in Vancouver, making our cars worth a bit more.

Lots of 2015 for $59k (pretty consistent)...

mrford60

Full Access Members
Reaction score
yes it looks totaled, the headliner would also have to be replaced due to the side air bags going off, that alone costs over 2k. glad everyone was ok. let us know how you make out.

OP
OP
B

BC_MAX

Reaction score
Well guys, you called it, ICBC says a total loss. They figure at least $36k to fix it. So now onto negotiating a settlement and finding a new one. The fun never ends!

JollyRoger

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that. I just went through that myself. My wife borrowed it to haul some kids around and was rear-ended pretty bad and also pushed into the car in front of her. Both ends were pretty screwed up. The body shop had to partially tear it down before they finally figure out it was totaled. The white circles in the picture are where it was flexed, and they really didn't want to touch it.

The insurance check was decent, but I had to do the search all over again and found a 2010 at a dealer 6 hours away. Nice truck, but what a complete hassle.

Good luck!

Attachments

• 20150925_090827.jpg
    20150925_090827.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 34
Last edited: