Acorn Nuts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

The Chairman

Reaction score
Just replaced mine with Dorman. I can't believe that there has not been a recall on this or lawsuit even. I'm just imagining someone's wheel falling off and getting hurt in an accident because the lugs were not able to be properly tighten to the correct torque. BTW I think the OEM lug nuts are 21.5mm. My new lugs are 21mm so I bought a 4 way to fit the new lugs.
Every Ford & Lincoln vehicle has the same capped lug nuts. Have for a few decades. Buy some aftermarket versions and pitch them first time.

ROBERT BONNER

Full Access Members
Reaction score
"Swollen lug nuts" is a pet peeve of mine....All vehicles with stainless clad nuts can experience this issue regardless of manufacturer. To be clear this is caused by one and only one thing, someone, somewhere used a worn 6 or 12 point, or perhaps even a mm large 6 point to remove the lugs, normally in combination with an impact. The misshapen or oversize socket rolls the stainless cladding around the core of the nut distorting it to the point when you can no longer fit a socket on it. I've trained my local discount T- to inspect their sockets daily and replace them. They're pretty good folks (as opposed to the Ford, Nissan, Toyota and GM dealers around that routinely deform lug nuts seemingly for sport). The local discount guys also break all lugs with a bar before raising the vehicle and running them off with an impact. I have had clad nuts on my 2007 and 2011 and 2012 models that have experienced more than 80 combined wheel set removals for rotation, balance and replacement without a single "swollen" nut. The moral of the story is if you let Garage Monkeys play with your nuts....they might end up "swollen".

techdude99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
FYI - Most reputable tire shops have half sizes for their lug nut sockets due to the swollen nuts. Steelman makes a good impact.

20211021_105955.jpg

For what it's worth, McGuard never let me down over the years.

Last edited:
OP
OP
P

Paddler

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I bought a 21mm impact socket for $7.00. I'll hammer it on using a block of wood and a hammer, break the nut, then work the socket off the nut. PITA to have to carry the extra tools, though. I wonder how much it would cost Ford to put on quality one-piece nuts.

Hoosierex

Reaction score
I just finished putting brakes on my 13, the first time I had to chisel two lug nuts off to pull a tire. Replaced the with factory nut from local Ford dealer at 5.25 each. I have always used a 13/16in impact socket on them no trouble until now.