Swollen lug nuts. Replace them NOW

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bobward757

Reaction score
Hello friends,
I just realize this has been discussed before, but I had the unfortunate roadside flat, and it took an hour to get the six Lugnuts off because I thought the Ford supplied lug nut wrench with the jack was defective . It was not.

Long story short all the fourth Jens come out of the factory with these Lugnuts that have that coating on them to keep them shiny and silver. This coding swells with temperature and makes it impossible to get a normal lug wrench on them when it’s anything above -40 Kelvin. It was a true pain in the.(pick your favorite body part)

Other threads have suggested replacements and I just put all 24 on the other day so the next time I have a roadside flat it won’t take me all day just to get the Lugnuts off

If you regularly drive far from home and don’t want to wait for AAA, do yourself a favor and go get yourself a new set of Lugnuts that do not swell.

For more information, just do a search for the Lugnuts and look at the other three threads on this forum.

ColoradoJon

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. Many posts on this topic. I have aftermarket lug nuts already when purchased. What kills me is the 150 ft lbs torque spec. I use discount Tire for tire stuff mostly but doing the brakes recently, I couldn't get a lug off. I was using the iron supplied but couldn't get enough leverage and ended up using a cheater bar to do it. I am not small potatoes (250 lbs) and I couldnt get it to move without the bar. I broke a lug on my sequoia once and was fearful of the same fate. Luckily it all worked out but I would have been SOL trying this on the side of the road somewhere.

slideboy7

Reaction score
I was getting the tires rotated at the dealer, and had to have all 24 replaced on my 2018. Unbelievable, I’ve been driving and dealing with cars since the 80’s never had to replace lug nuts. At least, this post confirms it’s a problem.

Randy Bassett

Reaction score
Had the same problem on mine. The problem is, the chrome caps on the lug nuts get moisture underneath, and the nuts themselves rust and swell up. Lug wrench supplied no longer will go on. Then no standard socket will fit, English or Metric. I had to beat on the next smallest socket over the things, take them off, and then take the socket, put it in a vise, and beat the lug nut out with a screwdriver. Had to do that for each one that was swollen up (about half of them).
After replacing the nuts with some regular ones, I then bought an individual socket of the correct size, plus a 1/2" breaker bar for it, and put them in the Expy in the rear where the original bar goes, so I won't get caught out on the road with a flat and no way to take it off.

Samuel Jewell

Reaction score
Nissan is also bad about this! I found out that they make a 21.5mm specifically for this problem(a 22.5mm is also made for Fords)! I found this out a very painfully hot day took me three hours to change a tire!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
M Bennett