Flimsy lug nuts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

crorad

Reaction score
Got a flat tire on my 2018 Expy. I didn't realize that on the OEM lug nuts there is a flimsy aluminum cap over the actual nut. When I tried to remove the nuts the caps were either swollen and I couldn't get the lug wrench on or if I did they would just spin over the actual nut. It was impossible to loosen the nut or remove the cap with the flat tire kit provided. Luckily I was in town and my wife drove me to an autoparts store to buy a stripped lug nut remover. With this I was able to get the caps off but removing each cap from the extractor was a real pain on the side of the road with limited tools. Now I needed another ride home to get more tools to get each cap out of the extractor. What should have been a straightforward tire change in less than 1/2 hour ended up being an over 4 hour ordeal. I immediately got all my other lug nuts replaced with better quality single piece nuts at a local tire shop. Buyer beware that this doesn't happen to you in the middle of nowhere! Did a web search and there actually has been a class action lawsuit regarding this but it was dismissed. http://www.fordproblems.com/swollen-lug-nuts/ Maybe if enough people complain they will be forced to do a recall.

techdude99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
McGuard are a good alternative.

Good luck with Ford.

If you keep the crappy lug nuts, buy the socket below. It's used by most shops.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211115-115627_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20211115-115627_eBay.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 26

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Many of us have been through this ordeal. I got a flat on NPS lands and couldn't get the wrench on my swollen nuts. The tow truck driver couldn't cross the bridge to get to me because his truck was over the limit, so I had to drive a couple miles on a flat. My wheel developed a hairline crack from driving on the flat and I had to replace it. What was initially a patchable flat turned into a demolished tire, so I had to replace that as well. The tow truck driver got the wheel changed with an array of sockets and a mallet. After that ordeal I replaced all of my lugs with Gorilla lugs.

PHD20

Reaction score
Just replaced my factory lug nuts with McGard (#64034). Even though I'm only at about 6k miles, I had heard enough about failures to consider it worthwhile to get ahead of any issues.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
The McGards are real nice USA quality. Frankly, I think the original stainless-sheathed ones are fine if they are never used with an impact wrench or the wrong size socket. An impact tool or improper wrench applies pressure to the high corners and causes the flats to bulge. Just how I see it. I've had them for decades until a tire place destroyed them with an air wrench.

techdude99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've also seen impacts destroy these types of nuts after years of holding up fine. Areas without roadsalt help, too.

The McGuard have served me well on several cars and they stand behind their warranty. It's also a bonus to support a domestic company that makes a quality productat a reasonable price.

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've decided. McGard nuts. Now where is the best price on them? Also is the number listed above correct?

Michael D Morris

Reaction score
Many of us have been through this ordeal. I got a flat on NPS lands and couldn't get the wrench on my swollen nuts. The tow truck driver couldn't cross the bridge to get to me because his truck was over the limit, so I had to drive a couple miles on a flat. My wheel developed a hairline crack from driving on the flat and I had to replace it. What was initially a patchable flat turned into a demolished tire, so I had to replace that as well. The tow truck driver got the wheel changed with an array of sockets and a mallet. After that ordeal I replaced all of my lugs with Gorilla lugs.
Never wrench on swollen nuts.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire