Adaptive Suspension and Towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wingrider

Reaction score
There is no airbags on these, so no weight support for a heavy trailer.
Every time I start thinking again about a new Expy, Comments like this remind me how much I appreciate the factory rear suspension air on my 2012. I just towed my shared 24' enclosed car trailer loaded to/from a 2 day track weekend and it just tows so well.

I want to give them money but they are making it tough. Guess those of us who tow are not enough of a market- just like no factory option trailer mirrors that exist for F-150s. Darn you Ford.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The air shocks were notorious for failures. Lines crack, lines get ripped off my branches, bags rot from age and heat. Then there's only a few airbag shocks to pick from on the market. I'm pretty sure Ford did right by letting the bags off. Sumo springs are easily added if needed.

wingrider

Reaction score
The air shocks were notorious for failures. Lines crack, lines get ripped off my branches, bags rot from age and heat. Then there's only a few airbag shocks to pick from on the market. I'm pretty sure Ford did right by letting the bags off. Sumo springs are easily added if needed.
I don't hard core off road that I'd catch a line on something. I'm fortunate that my '99 had no air system issues except replacing the compressor at about the 10 year mark. My '12 has had no issues so far but to me, it's like other things like shocks and struts so replacing them is a maintenance item. The Ford product is fine for me as a replacement when it comes. My '12 uses the same bags as the newer years so I should be fine for a little longer.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't hard core off road that I'd catch a line on something. I'm fortunate that my '99 had no air system issues except replacing the compressor at about the 10 year mark. My '12 has had no issues so far but to me, it's like other things like shocks and struts so replacing them is a maintenance item. The Ford product is fine for me as a replacement when it comes. My '12 uses the same bags as the newer years so I should be fine for a little longer.

Right, but shock technology has come a long way since then, so the new ones perform a lot better and are computer controlled on the premium models. They rode like they are on a cloud now.

MAC1

Reaction score
...and if you want the BEST possible system out there (which it sounds like you do, if you're towing that often) ....this bugger is on my list. I will get it eventually, especially if I go beyond 700# tongue weight and 7500# GVWR.

NOT cheap, but the most well-reviewed and stable towing platform anywhere. I have two friends that have them and based on their feedback, they are 5-7x better than the $400-$600 WDH's from most other vendors.

https://store-b8894.mybigcommerce.com/propride-3p-trailer-sway-control-hitch/

I agree with this wholeheartedly, I started with an equalizer on my 2016 EXPD., pulling my 24' ATC Quest 305 Aluminum trailer. I was ready to sell the trailer and give up on towing until I bought the ProPride hitch. Completely eliminated my sway problem; I have gone from 50 mph white knuckle driving to 70-75mph, with no issues. It makes the trailer behave like it's on a fifth wheel hitch; it's expensive, but well worth it, IMO.

lurch

Reaction score
More important is that air suspension systems, air bags, helper springs, etc, etc do NOT put weight back on the front ("steer") axle. Shifting the tongue weight off the rear axle and onto the front axle is what a WDH does. And of course, you're limited to only a 600lb tongue weight unless you use a WDH...

This 1000%, the hitch store does not know what they are talking about. This is WDH 101 stuff, I would find another hitch store.

Ben Scrace

Reaction score
I have a 33’ travel trailer with WDH. I would like to add something to help with the droopies in the rear. What is recommended as aftermarket addition?

Wayne Decker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 33’ travel trailer with WDH. I would like to add something to help with the droopies in the rear. What is recommended as aftermarket addition?

If the tongue weight of your trailer is within limits of the vehicle, just adjust your WD hitch to level things out..

mwl001

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Visit a scale. If your hitch is adjusted properly you should have very little if any sag.
I'll second this - I haven't been able to get a tongue weight on my trailer yet, but we've towed as much as 5500lbs based on the trailer axles, and when my WDH is calibrated I get 1/2-3/4" of sag at most. Fixing that imbalance is going to do more to improve handling than anything else you might add or replace afterwards.

Something else to check is hitch height. I needed a pretty serious drop to get my trailer close to level. Before correcting that, it was basically impossible to redistribute the trailer weight without tipping the trailer towards the back and taking too much weight off the tongue. That's really step one before you can dial in the WDH.

Last edited: