Adaptive Suspension and Towing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Squark

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree with the above posts. Going to a truck scale has been very helpful. My 33' travel trailer weighs in at 7500lbs and the tongue weight is 860lbs. The rear sag is right about 1" and the front sag is minimal (<1/8"). My tongue weight is only 11.5% of the trailer weight. I'd like it to be a little higher, but I'm pushing up against that 900lb limit. I've shifted weight around in the trailer based on past weigh-ins, and I feel better knowing I'm within all the specs of the Expedition.

Here are the numbers from my latest weigh-in if anyone is curious what a scale can tell you: http://towingplanner.com/ActualWeig...=2680&w2da=4440&w2ta=6620&w3sa=3080&w3da=3180

BLUWAGN

Reaction score
I have a 33’ travel trailer with WDH. I would like to add something to help with the droopies in the rear. What is recommended as aftermarket addition?

I second the statements on a properly set up WDH, but Sumosprings will help with squat and still allow you to use your WDH properly.

mwl001

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I second the statements on a properly set up WDH, but Sumosprings will help with squat and still allow you to use your WDH properly.
My point was, no squat when properly adjusted... so do the sumosprings help with anything else, while driving? That's what I was curious about, seems like people mostly buy them for anti-squat.

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My point was, no squat when properly adjusted... so do the sumosprings help with anything else, while driving? That's what I was curious about, seems like people mostly buy them for anti-squat.

Many people buy them for anti-squat because they don't know how to make sure their WDH is configured correctly. I know this because the people posting about them don't have scale tickets and thus have likely never visited a scale. That, or they have a boat within the limits for towing without a WDH but still want to even out the suspension.

Having said that, anecdotally they increase the spring rate and make the suspension firmer. I haven't used them myself, as I haven't had a sag issue and have been stable up to 75 mph.

BLUWAGN

Reaction score
Many people buy them for anti-squat because they don't know how to make sure their WDH is configured correctly. I know this because the people posting about them don't have scale tickets and thus have likely never visited a scale. That, or they have a boat within the limits for towing without a WDH but still want to even out the suspension.

Having said that, anecdotally they increase the spring rate and make the suspension firmer. I haven't used them myself, as I haven't had a sag issue and have been stable up to 75 mph.

100% agree with this. I have two trailers with tongue weight within boundaries, both have straight tube tongues making WDH a challenge so I opted for Sumosprings to not have the headlights pointed towards the flagpoles when we tow. Same story with my Ram buddies that have the factory leveling 4-corner air suspension and tow travel trailers, the load sits level but WDH still required to transfer weight to the front and control sway. I like the Sumosprings increasing rate a bit since one of the trailers I pull is long enough that it can start to porpoise over bridge approaches, these help with that.

mwl001

Full Access Members
Reaction score
100% agree with this. I have two trailers with tongue weight within boundaries, both have straight tube tongues making WDH a challenge so I opted for Sumosprings to not have the headlights pointed towards the flagpoles when we tow. Same story with my Ram buddies that have the factory leveling 4-corner air suspension and tow travel trailers, the load sits level but WDH still required to transfer weight to the front and control sway. I like the Sumosprings increasing rate a bit since one of the trailers I pull is long enough that it can start to porpoise over bridge approaches, these help with that.
Thanks, that's definitely something we experienced, good to know they would help my situation as well. Do the SuperSprings eliminate the porpoise action? Reduce a little, or a lot? Thanks again.

BLUWAGN

Reaction score
Thanks, that's definitely something we experienced, good to know they would help my situation as well. Do the SuperSprings eliminate the porpoise action? Reduce a little, or a lot? Thanks again.

I wouldn't call it an earth shattering difference but more spring rate equals less downtravel hence less uptravel to get back to normal ride height, so you can definitely tell there isn't as much movement.

Fasttimes

Full Access Members
Reaction score

In my case it seems I can't get rid of the squat completely with just WDH adjustments. For me it's been an evolving process that took a good year before I had a comfortable setup when driving. But there was still some minimal sag. I have an Equalizer WDH which you can add/remove washers for small adjustments. So I decided to add one more washer to see if it would remove that last bit of sag and it did. The truck looked the best it ever has in regards to level set up. But driving down the road there was definitely a difference in ride behavior. More bouncy and more sway from rigs flying by. So I'm going to remove the newly added washer and gain back that weight on the rear. Maybe see about these Sumosprings if they are applicable to my 2010 EB.