Add LEDs to the rear end of my '17 XLT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CubSmurf

Reaction score
Ordered a bunch of LEDS from SuperBrightLEDs.com. Still need to do the interior bulbs but added LEDs to the Brake Lights, Reverse Lights and Middle Brake Light last night.

Didn't think to take pics but the tail lights were SUPER easy. Two Torx head screws and pull straight back.

The passenger brake light plug showed some signs of excess heat. Really glad to get those hot bulbs out of there.

The Middle Brake Light was a bit trickier. This site had some great info about how to remove/replace the bulbs: https://www.carcarekiosk.com/video/...tinum_3.5L_V6_Turbo/lights/center_brake_light

You're supposed to be able to remove the black housing from the lens assembly and plug and play. (See below)
View media item 7301
I was not so lucky. These bulbs also showed signs of excess heat and were fused to the bracket on the lens assembly. Pulling them apart broke some bulbs and I had to further disassemble the assembly to remove the broken bulbs from the lens.

Additionally, the LED bulbs were too wide to be installed from underneath the reflector (as shown in the video). However, I was able to reassemble the silver and black pieces, install the bulbs from the top of the reflector and put it all together.

Next is the interior lights, then puddle lights, and finally headlights.

Not sure I'd recommend replacing the 3rd brake light unless you're fairly handy. I thought for sure I would be ordering a new light. :)

BUT, replacing the reverse and brake lights is SUPER easy and well worth the money and time spent. IMO

Thunderbirdsport

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can buy an LED 3rd brake light on Amazon. Took me about 5 minutes to reinstall the new one. Had a hiccup with the washer hose and nozzle...the new one's nozzle wouldn't seat correctly. Had to finesse it a wee bit to get it to latch in place.

I got mine smoked or tinted or whatnot...looks great on a black vehicle. I have the original still, however...

WGaIyD0.jpg

Z9EafjK.jpg

OP
OP
C

CubSmurf

Reaction score
You can buy an LED 3rd brake light on Amazon. Took me about 5 minutes to reinstall the new one. Had a hiccup with the washer hose and nozzle...the new one's nozzle wouldn't seat correctly. Had to finesse it a wee bit to get it to latch in place.

I got mine smoked or tinted or whatnot...looks great on a black vehicle. I have the original still, however...

WGaIyD0.jpg

Z9EafjK.jpg
Looks good! I thought I was headed down that road for a minute:) Overall, the bulbs for the top brake like were $15 plus about 20 minutes of disassembly and install. Very happy with the upgrade and cost.

OP
OP
C

CubSmurf

Reaction score
Are any of these brake lights brighter than the stock lamp in the reflector?

The reverse lights are definitely brighter. I think the brake lights are slightly brighter but not overpoweringly so.

The biggest gains for me are removing heat sources from plastic housings. Both my passenger taillight and 3rd brake light had heat damage from the standard bulbs.

I think the LEDs give a cleaner look, too.

OP
OP
C

CubSmurf

Reaction score
OP
OP
C

CubSmurf

Reaction score