Adding skid plates to 2018 Limited with tow package?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I called my parts guy and gave him the VIN you mentioned and his system isn't showing a transfer case skid plate for the Expedition. You may want to roll the dice and try one from a '17 F150 and see if it bolts up since the frames are likely very similar in that location. There was also another forum member "Trainmaster" who said he found all the OEM skid plates for his 3rd generation Expedition in a prior post in this thread, so he may have a suggestion.

My guy says the same thing.
But the options sheet for 2017
https://www.jocogov.org/sites/default/files/documents/FAC/BidTabulation/DickSmith/2017 Expedition Order Guide.pdf
Clearly lists a Transfer Case skid plate as part of the SSV package.

Already know the plate for the F150 is different.
Plus I am pretty sure trainmaster has a 2008.
From my understanding the Ecoboost models have an extra crossbar in front of the transfer case which is why the earlier skid plate won’t work.
I have that part number I guess I’ll see if I can order it and return if it does not fit.

Always interesting to see companies marketing change.
The 15-17s has no off-road option and all came with the steel engine skid plate, plastic/felt transmission skid plate and the side plastic fuel tank skid.

The SSV came with these though not sure if the transmission skid is the plastic/felt or if it is steel. The SSVs also came with the plastic fuel tank skid.

Then in 18 when they want to add an off-road package they pull the same style skids that were standard and add them to the package with the added fuel tank skid but still give you the cheap transmission skid when a steel one from the Raptor clearly works as you have shown.

Now I am curious is the earlier Raptor metal transmission skid will work on the 3rd gen and I can dump the plastic/felt one without having to go RCI.

Last edited:

Going_Going_Gone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'd be interested in purchasing an F-series fuel tank skid plate if there's one comparable in size to the Max (28.3 gal.) fuel tank. It's more hazardous to the undercarriage driving on the freeways around here than the occasional jaunt off the pavement. I drove my 2010 F-150 with factory skid plates for nine years and the only obvious ding it ever got was from freeway debris. It just comes out of nowhere and at 65-75 mph in traffic you can't always dodge it.

OP
OP
scottdm

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'd be interested in purchasing an F-series fuel tank skid plate if there's one comparable in size to the Max (28.3 gal.) fuel tank. It's more hazardous to the undercarriage driving on the freeways around here than the occasional jaunt off the pavement. I drove my 2010 F-150 with factory skid plates for nine years and the only obvious ding it ever got was from freeway debris. It just comes out of nowhere and at 65-75 mph in traffic you can't always dodge it.

The FX4 package is available in the Expedition Max long wheelbase, so you can pickup the Expedition Max FX4 fuel tank skid plate from the dealer without an issue.

KenK

Reaction score
Finally I looked more closely under my 2018 Exp Max XLT 4X4 + tow pkg manufactured in April 18, the engine oil pan is surprisingly aluminum however the transmission fluid pan is plastic, which freaks me out. The only think resembling a skid plate is a small curved one covering the electric steering unit. Under the intercooler is nothing at all, under the engine and transmission are the felt fabric things some refer to as diapers, nothing under the transfer case, and nothing on the gas tank. I need all of the skid plates especially that Raptor plate for the transmission.

I would buy local if I can find somewhere that discounts from list price.
Does anyone know a source in the Houston area that is not charging full retail?

Looks like there are some online dealers with discount prices, though some seen to have high shipping and handling.
Does anyone have a good online source with good prices?

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
The prices here on Long Island are so high (list + 30%) that paying Tasca for shipping's not too bad. They also have 10% off sales from time to time, so I waited for that to order the fuel tank plate.

And yes, Black, I have an '08. The skid plate thread I found was on Blue Oval Forums but it involved 2010 or 2011 trucks.

OP
OP
scottdm

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The prices here on Long Island are so high (list + 30%) that paying Tasca for shipping's not too bad. They also have 10% off sales from time to time, so I waited for that to order the fuel tank plate.

And yes, Black, I have an '08. The skid plate thread I found was on Blue Oval Forums but it involved 2010 or 2011 trucks.

It's interesting how various dealers vary so widely on parts pricing. I've worked with a couple of different Ford dealers here in Western PA, Eastern OH, and they were both willing to do 10-15% off list with minimal haggling. Most seem happy to sell a few hundred dollars worth of parts at a discount to get the sale.

Going_Going_Gone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The FX4 package is available in the Expedition Max long wheelbase, so you can pickup the Expedition Max FX4 fuel tank skid plate from the dealer without an issue.
Thanks, I didn't know that. Just figured that the "offload" package would be limited to SWB vehicles.

Reaction score
Finally had a chance to install the Raptor transmission skid plate today. The plate mounts to 4 places on the frame and the front edge attaches to an existing bracket. One nice thing is that it even has a removable panel to access the oil drain plug so you don't have to remove the skid plate for oil changes! Unfortunately the little access plate was on backorder, so I'll be picking it up in a couple weeks, but one of the photos below shows the cutout and view of the oil drain plug. Overall, this is what the Expedition should have as standard. It's much more robust than the standard plastic shield. Prices for the skid plate and hardware are shown and are roughly $200.

View attachment 28531 View attachment 28532 View attachment 28533

Hi Scott, thank you so much for all these information. I plan to do the same thing as you did. One quick question, do you happen to have the parts number for the removable panel to access the oil drain plug from the Raptor transmission skid plate? Thanks a lot.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
geovanni