Advance trac acting "odd"

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Traveler

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
On my way to work this morning (a short drive in 50 degree weather). Stopped at an intersection, checked traffic and headed out turning left. Heard and felt a noise, got off the gas then all normal. I continued on, but the advance trac symbol was on in my display. No ice obviously, nothing slick. further on the light was flashing and I had no power. When I turned right into the parking lot I heard and felt a grinding noise from the front right wheel.

I know nothing about the advance trac system, how it works, or even when it is supposed to kick in. Just based on the name I assume it is supposed to aid traction in slippery conditions by sending power to the wheels that have traction. I assume it does this utilizing the ABS sensors to know which wheels are spinning. So... Bad sensor maybe? other possibilities?

mnachreiner86

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Sounds maybe that way. The ABS ring is in the hub and bearing assembly so something could be damaged there. Makes sense with the grinding.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

max78

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You are correct that it will use the ABS system to apply the brakes that will then move power to the opposite wheel.

Have it scanned for free at one of the major stores, there might be a code. But it sounds like a sensor going bad, or a ring that might be damage to something under there. Check all 4 corners.

OP
OP
T

Traveler

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the confirmations. I'll get right on getting the codes, and start a visual inspection.

OP
OP
T

Traveler

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
It appears to be temperature related. It only shows up first thing in the morning when it is down in the 50s. All afternoon and evening its fine, drives nice.

TDGFordGuy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It appears to be temperature related. It only shows up first thing in the morning when it is down in the 50s. All afternoon and evening its fine, drives nice.
Mine does the same thing when cold and wet (minus the grinding). No codes in the system, used forscan too. Just intermittently malfunctioning.

FalconFixer

Reaction score
I had a similar problem a few months ago. I took apart and inspected all 4 brake assemblies, nothing, all looked good. I DID NOT have it scanned. I figured it was probably a bad sensor. Last week I experienced a full bearing failure on the left rear wheel/hub assembly, while doing 75 MPH. I'm assuming with the independent rear suspension and the disintegrated bearing is why it started fish-tailing down the I-10...Once I replaced the hub and bearing assembly no more ABS/ Traction control symbol illumination. I would suggest not delaying at finding the problem....
2007 Expedition EL-XLT 200,000+ milesLeft Rear Wheel Hub Bearing.JPG

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
waleedalmadani