AdvanceTrac light on after changing brake booster

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kevin_Destrozado

Reaction score
2005 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer with Electronic Stability Control / AdvanceTrac.

I had a vacuum leak on the brake booster so I had the brake booster replaced (yes, I could have done it myself, but I didn't have time and I have a trusted mechanic who, in the past, has been good). He said he put in the specific booster for Electronic Stability Control and charged me as such. I have no reason to doubt that, as there are no extra connections, etc. So I think all is good there.

Problem is that within 5 miles of the garage, the "Check AdvanceTrac" warning came on, and the slipping car light. I can turn the "Check AdvanceTrac" off, but the warning light (slippery car) stays on. After 1-10 miles, usually around 5 miles, the "Check AvanceTrac" message comes on again. I am pretty sure that AdvanceTrac is actually working - I was able to get it to engage (slippery car blinking in dash), both before and after the warning light was on saying to check AdvanceTrac.

Today it went back to the mechanic since, I assume, they messed something up in changing the brake booster that is now setting off the AdvanceTrac warning. He replaced the pedal position sensor switch. I drove 2 miles from the mechanic, the light and warning message came back on.

I also tried the "soft code reset" where the key is in the on position and I disconnect the battery for 5 minutes then put it back. That did not work, but the AdvanceTrac light wasn't on then either because I need to drive it a few miles before the light comes on. So I'm not sure if that procedure would help if there was some way to do it with the AdvanceTrac light on. Currently I'm not sure how to do that, because it doesn't come on until I drive a bit.

I am at a loss at this point. Any suggestions, ideas, previous experience, etc. would be great. Thank you!

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What's the DTC chassis code for the error ? If you're getting a error on your Advancetrac it should store a chassis code ( Cxxxx ) . It may be just a bad wheel sensor and not even related to the work your mechanic did.

OP
OP
K

Kevin_Destrozado

Reaction score
I don't know... is that the kind I can get read at AutoZone? I don't have a reader myself. Also, my mechanic said there were no error codes when he looked at it. Of course, he hadn't driven it at that point, and it has to be driven to come on. Wouldn't the "Check AdvanceTrac" error codes show even when the light isn't on though, since they'd be stored in recent error codes?

OP
OP
K

Kevin_Destrozado

Reaction score
Problem solved: there was a bad sensor in the new/after-market brake booster. What luck! Two sensors stick out of the brake booster and communicate with the AdvanceTrac system, one of which was not functioning correctly.