After market struts/ shocks

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

8131full

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine does this on both sides. I replaced my shocks with Bilstein 5100s and it still does it on the first few bumps in the morning. I haven't investigated further since it did it before and after the replacement.
hmm, good to know. At least i don't have to replace mine. Thanks!

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
is there a way to know if my fronts are bad if they're not leaking? Every day when I first start driving, there is a slight knock from the front left when I hit the first bump. But then never does it again. Ride quality is fine.
Do you have a 4wd? If so, could it be the front hubs engaging or disengaging? Maybe try it one day, but put it 2wd before moving. The next day put it in 4a before moving.

stilbo

Reaction score
Three of for factory struts were leaking on my 2018 before it hit 50,000.
When I priced Bilsteins VS KYBs on Rock Auto it was a no brainer.
More than satisfied with the KYBs.
I even catch air at 45 mph on a little hill near home just for giggles and it lands perfectly.
It’s now my Town Car Raptor.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Three of for factory struts were leaking on my 2018 before it hit 50,000.
When I priced Bilsteins VS KYBs on Rock Auto it was a no brainer.
More than satisfied with the KYBs.
I even catch air at 45 mph on a little hill near home just for giggles and it lands perfectly.
It’s now my Town Car Raptor.
Thank you for the reminder on why I buy my cars new and not used! :). lol

Bmanxx13

Reaction score
is there a way to know if my fronts are bad if they're not leaking? Every day when I first start driving, there is a slight knock from the front left when I hit the first bump. But then never does it again. Ride quality is fine.
Mine do the same thing the first time I leave my driveway every morning. No issues or leaks (so far). My expedition has about 71k miles.

8131full

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine do the same thing the first time I leave my driveway every morning. No issues or leaks (so far). My expedition has about 71k miles.
hmm. I guess I feel slightly better knowing others have the same thing. Would really like to know what it is, though. Front hubs are sticking, and then get a slight bump and disengage?

khammer

Reaction score
Replaced my rear CCD shocks because they were leaking. 2k job at the dealer in Jan 2021. I think they are shot again...
Just got my '18 Limited 302a back from the dealership for an oil change. 89k miles. I mentioned it was pulling and might need an alignment. The technician noted he would not perform the alignment due to repairs needed.

They said right front and right rear shocks were leaking and needed replacement.

$2292.12 out the door for the right front replacement
$1387.60 out the door for the right rear replacement

3700 for 2 shocks????

Attachments

• IMG_4315.jpg
    IMG_4315.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 13

Zig10

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just got my '18 Limited 302a back from the dealership for an oil change. 89k miles. I mentioned it was pulling and might need an alignment. The technician noted he would not perform the alignment due to repairs needed.

They said right front and right rear shocks were leaking and needed replacement.

$2292.12 out the door for the right front replacement
$1387.60 out the door for the right rear replacement

3700 for 2 shocks????
First off, the dealer is hosing you. I just put Billstiens on mine for a total of $1250, including labor for the shop to cut off a galled bolt that the dealer cross threaded last time they changed one of my rear struts under warranty.

Secondly, when my rear strut was leaking like yours I had to fight with the dealer to get it changed out because Ford told them it was only "dampness, not a full leak". Tune changes quickly out of warranty. I'd take it to a local suspension shop or a private garage that you trust and get it done there. You can get the struts on-line and just take them in. I ordered mine from a seller on Amazon and had them in 2 days.

Good luck.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
geovanni