Aftermarket door speakers with aftermarket head unit - keep factory amp?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wyo_vr4

Reaction score
I have a 99 Navigator with OEM speakers and an aftermarket head unit. I picked up some new Polk speakers for the doors. Trying to figure out the best way to replace the factory door speakers but keep the factory subwoofer, at least for now. Should I just replace the speakers or run new speaker wire from the head unit wiring harness, or is there another option? Is the factory amp just for the sub, or does it power the factory door speakers as well?

oblivion

Full Access Members
Reaction score
why would you do any of that?, just tap or cut off the ends of the factory connections and wire it in. The only time I would run new wire is if your putting in a new amp.

OP
OP
wyo_vr4

wyo_vr4

Reaction score
why would you do any of that?, just tap or cut off the ends of the factory connections and wire it in. The only time I would run new wire is if your putting in a new amp.

If the factory amp powers the door speakers, it's best to bypass it or risk blowing speakers. This is what I'm trying to determine beforehand.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you have aftermarket speakers...it wont blow them