Aftermarket? What aftermarket.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I second what @Going_Going_Gone says about brakes. When upgrading the engine and suspension for a race bike, we always upgrade the brakes as well. Believe it or not, brakes are just as important for going fast in racing as power. The better your brakes, the more you can use the power.
I don't disagree with upgrading brakes, but good tires with the right compound can make just as much of a difference for stopping than upgraded brakes. I've upgraded brakes and even done big brakes on other vehicles I've owned, but honestly at 23k miles, I've had very few issues with brake fade and so far (knock on wood) no warping. And I drive mountain passes a lot and tend to go a little fast. I do use the gears a lot descending passes though. I have plenty of power upgrades and have started shredding my rears but again the brakes are pretty decent for stock.

Once it's time for brakes, I will probably do some good powerstops or something, but I can tell you that with the upgrades and the tunes, this thing is nuts. Just wish it wasn't so loud :)

OP
OP
S

stimul8

Reaction score
The newer Expy should be faster by a good bit. Any 2021+ F-150 with the 5.0 V8 or 3.5 Eco will smoke a 4th gen Expedition (they are all in the mid 5’s to 60 now with 400 horse and a lot less weight with either engine). But a 2012 doesn’t have a shot. I think it’s just a quieter vehicle and may not feel as fast.

Just so you know by the specs the only engine you could get in 2012 that will match your 2019 Expedition is the 6.2L V8 with 411 horsepower….a very rare truck. But those hit 6.2 seconds in Harley Davidson and Limited trim like your Expys time. The Raptors were slower so they don’t even count. An older 5.0? Nah.
The newer Expy should be faster by a good bit. Any 2021+ F-150 with the 5.0 V8 or 3.5 Eco will smoke a 4th gen Expedition (they are all in the mid 5’s to 60 now with 400 horse and a lot less weight with either engine). But a 2012 doesn’t have a shot. I think it’s just a quieter vehicle and may not feel as fast.

Just so you know by the specs the only engine you could get in 2012 that will match your 2019 Expedition is the 6.2L V8 with 411 horsepower….a very rare truck. But those hit 6.2 seconds in Harley Davidson and Limited trim like your Expys time. The Raptors were slower so they don’t even count. An older 5.0? Nah.
Well, I’m not just comparing power... I’m looking at overall driving experience, reliability, replacement part availability, etc. You’re correct in that the 5.0 won’t beat the 3.5 TT, but it also doesn’t work as hard for the power it has. Call me old-fashioned... I’m partial to naturally-aspirated engines because of this. When it comes to average mpg, I’m not really gaining much with the 3.5 either. I’m not too heavy on the foot, but only getting 16mpg combined. And with the 5.0 I can tow more, carry more payload, and do better off-roading.

I know, I know. I’m kind of comparing apples to oranges. I think I just really appreciated the 5.0 in it’s high capability, yet simplicity. With the Expo I get a ton of bells and whistles, but that’s basically all electronics. All the non-electronic features are somewhat bit tuned down lower than expected from an F-150.

Btw, is there a decent aftermarket blow-off valve for these suckers? That’s about as close as I’m getting to being blown these days.

OP
OP
S

stimul8

Reaction score
And I guess a decent thing with this Expo is I can load an 8ft piece of lumber in the back without having it hang over the top of a tailgate. But now I’m too shy to load lumber, cause I don’t want to screw up the interior.

Quick! Someone find my testicles!

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So why exactly did you buy an expedition and not a truck? It sure seems like you want a truck and not an SUV?

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
People keep complaining about the MPG in the Expedition vs 150....Well DUH. It weighs more. To the person who moved from a 2018 with the 2.7 with very few options based on the Steering wheel to an Expeditions. You are probably looking at 600-800 lbs difference in weight. Weight is one of the largest factors in fuel usage. 150's option for option are going to be lighter.

Well, I’m not just comparing power... I’m looking at overall driving experience, reliability, replacement part availability, etc. You’re correct in that the 5.0 won’t beat the 3.5 TT, but it also doesn’t work as hard for the power it has. Call me old-fashioned... I’m partial to naturally-aspirated engines because of this. When it comes to average mpg, I’m not really gaining much with the 3.5 either. I’m not too heavy on the foot, but only getting 16mpg combined. And with the 5.0 I can tow more, carry more payload, and do better off-roading.

I know, I know. I’m kind of comparing apples to oranges. I think I just really appreciated the 5.0 in it’s high capability, yet simplicity. With the Expo I get a ton of bells and whistles, but that’s basically all electronics. All the non-electronic features are somewhat bit tuned down lower than expected from an F-150.

Btw, is there a decent aftermarket blow-off valve for these suckers? That’s about as close as I’m getting to being blown these days.

How is a 5.0 better off road than a 3.5? Why does Ford put the 3.5 in the Raptor, and now the 2021 Tremor? 3.5 is affected less by altitude, and has FAR more torque down low where it is needed when off-roading.

You are touting the 5.0, yet want to put a blow off valve on, so you can hear that you are turbo charged even more...especially when it is a part that has ZERO performance gain on this platform. So confused. Your vehicle.

Bottom line, is there is plenty that can be done to these, just look around. Is it going to have as much aftermarket support as a 150, NOPE, because it doesn't sell as many. Supply and Demand.

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
People keep complaining about the MPG in the Expedition vs 150....Well DUH. It weighs more. To the person who moved from a 2018 with the 2.7 with very few options based on the Steering wheel to an Expeditions. You are probably looking at 600-800 lbs difference in weight. Weight is one of the largest factors in fuel usage. 150's option for option are going to be lighter.

How is a 5.0 better off road than a 3.5? Why does Ford put the 3.5 in the Raptor, and now the 2021 Tremor? 3.5 is affected less by altitude, and has FAR more torque down low where it is needed when off-roading.

You are touting the 5.0, yet want to put a blow off valve on, so you can hear that you are turbo charged even more...especially when it is a part that has ZERO performance gain on this platform. So confused. Your vehicle.

Bottom line, is there is plenty that can be done to these, just look around. Is it going to have as much aftermarket support as a 150, NOPE, because it doesn't sell as many. Supply and Demand.
5.0 = Five Point Slow.
N/A = Only at Sea Level.
Also rumors of the 3.5 in the Bronco Warthog. That would be sick!
Nice to see you logged in today.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
5.0 = Five Point Slow.
N/A = Only at Sea Level.
Also rumors of the 3.5 in the Bronco Warthog. That would be sick!
Nice to see you logged in today.
100% Anybody who thinks the 5.0 is better at moving weight down the road than the 3.5 has spent very little time with the motor. Or thinks sound moves vehicles. I am like most people, and LOVE the sound of the 5.0, but I want it to move when I press the go pedal...and the 3.5's torque, moves this heavy thing down the road.

I think you are going to see the 3.0 possibly the new 2nd Gen 3.0 in the Warthog. The 3.0 is going to be in the Ranger Raptor, and many are hoping it will be a 2nd Gen with both Port and Direct injection. The 3.0 is a beast!!! On E50 it gets my Explorer to 60 in 3.7...tune and E50 only.

lbv150

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The only 5.0 I like is in my 1985 Mustang GT and it's far from stock.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The only 5.0 I like is in my 1985 Mustang GT and it's far from stock.
A new GT 5.0 has 460 stock horsepower. There’s a reason so many guys hate on them…it’s because they are always looking at the taillights when they try to run them haha. A simple E-85 tune puts you at 500 crank horsepower with well into the 400’s at the wheels. Direct injection is wonderful, in 1985 you’d have to rebuild and throw a blower on that pushrod 5.0 to do what a simple flash tune can do on a 2021 overhead cam 5.0.

Last edited:

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The 3.5 isn’t working hard to get its power that’s what’s great about it, all the torque comes in low in the rev range the way these turbos are set up