Aftermarket? What aftermarket.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A new GT 5.0 has 460 stock horsepower. There’s a reason so many guys hate on them…it’s because they are always looking at the taillights when they try to run them haha. A simple E-85 tune puts you at 500 crank horsepower with well into the 400’s at the wheels. Direct injection is wonderful, in 1985 you’d have to rebuild and throw a blower on that pushrod 5.0 to do what a simple flash tune can do on a 2021 overhead cam 5.0.
But it's only 0.9 seconds faster 0-60 than the little EcoBoost. Not the 3.5, and if I remember right they also put the 3.5 in their supercar not the 5.slow.

Boostedbus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 3.5 isn’t working hard to get its power that’s what’s great about it, all the torque comes in low in the rev range the way these turbos are set up
This is probably the biggest misconception people have about the 3.5 Ecoboost. People just assume because it’s a little V6 it must have to be wound up tight to make power. The opposite is actually true thanks to the turbos making max torque in the engine around 2500 rpm. When I’m on the highway running 80 mph with my 3.73 rear gears in my 2017, it’s turning 2300 rpm’s in 6th gear. I’m right in the power band wheelhouse. It doesn’t have to search for a lower gear when it hits a hill because it’s already giving me its best and doesn’t need to peg the tach to get there.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But it's only 0.9 seconds faster 0-60 than the little EcoBoost. Not the 3.5, and if I remember right they also put the 3.5 in their supercar not the 5.slow.
The 5.2 Predator going in the 2023 Raptor R is based heavily on 5.0 architecture and has 760 horsepower, same engine that is shoehorned into the GT-500 currently…1 second difference to 60 is quite significant, and the gap only widens in the upper revs and gears. Agreed the GT was a work of art, and done on the common 3.5 Eco architecture we all know from production vehicles which is crazy cool.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

stimul8

Reaction score
People keep complaining about the MPG in the Expedition vs 150....Well DUH. It weighs more. To the person who moved from a 2018 with the 2.7 with very few options based on the Steering wheel to an Expeditions. You are probably looking at 600-800 lbs difference in weight. Weight is one of the largest factors in fuel usage. 150's option for option are going to be lighter.

How is a 5.0 better off road than a 3.5? Why does Ford put the 3.5 in the Raptor, and now the 2021 Tremor? 3.5 is affected less by altitude, and has FAR more torque down low where it is needed when off-roading.

You are touting the 5.0, yet want to put a blow off valve on, so you can hear that you are turbo charged even more...especially when it is a part that has ZERO performance gain on this platform. So confused. Your vehicle.

Bottom line, is there is plenty that can be done to these, just look around. Is it going to have as much aftermarket support as a 150, NOPE, because it doesn't sell as many. Supply and Demand.
I'm not complaining about the mpg, though. Just mentioned what I normally get compared to an F150. With large vehicles, low mpg just comes with the territory. My knowledge in the area might lack some depth, but any wonder why they don't make the EcoBoosts FlexFuel also?

OP
OP
S

stimul8

Reaction score
People keep complaining about the MPG in the Expedition vs 150....Well DUH. It weighs more. To the person who moved from a 2018 with the 2.7 with very few options based on the Steering wheel to an Expeditions. You are probably looking at 600-800 lbs difference in weight. Weight is one of the largest factors in fuel usage. 150's option for option are going to be lighter.

How is a 5.0 better off road than a 3.5? Why does Ford put the 3.5 in the Raptor, and now the 2021 Tremor? 3.5 is affected less by altitude, and has FAR more torque down low where it is needed when off-roading.

You are touting the 5.0, yet want to put a blow off valve on, so you can hear that you are turbo charged even more...especially when it is a part that has ZERO performance gain on this platform. So confused. Your vehicle.

Bottom line, is there is plenty that can be done to these, just look around. Is it going to have as much aftermarket support as a 150, NOPE, because it doesn't sell as many. Supply and Demand.
What I'm doing is trying to make the vehicle feel more like mine while I'm driving it. I had the F150 for 9 years, so there's definitely going to be some sentiment. I had some BFG KO2s on the truck, so I'm likely to get those for this car too. No performance gain per se (maybe better snow performance), but the previous set I had served me well. Also, when comparing the F150 to the Expo, I never said a 5.0 was "better"... just more appreciated in terms of known long term reliability, build quality, etc. The performance comparisons I made were in regards to suspension, and how the big guy is a but tuned down. No, you shouldn't expect to be hauling tons of lumber or a huge trailer with it, but it would've been nice to preserve more of its truck roots and would just add to its versatility.

It just seems to me that all the added features raising the price are in the electronics department and are more "nice-to-have". For a $45k F-150, even with less raw power than a 3.5, it got me out of and through pretty much any road condition. I have yet to test the Expo on that, but I am hearing stories already of the differential overheating and temporary disabling itself.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
The Expedition has the highest towing capacity of anything in its class. Not only that, but it does it with ease. I have only towed over 8K with it twice, but it handled it VERY easily. I have towed 5-6K MANY times, through the East Coast mountains(Not even close to the west, but still can push a lessor vehicle), with ZERO issue. Heck with the towing package it can pull more than some of the competitors 1500 Trucks. So it has PLENTY of it's truck roots. There are plenty on here who loads theirs down regularly.

I have found the Expedition to be better in the snow, and adverse conditions, because of better weight distribution, and more weight over the rear than any of my previous 250's or 150's.

"Flex fuel"(By the way, I hate this term) is a partially complicated conversation. From the factory, it is WAY easier to make a NA motor Flex Fuel capable because the power variance, and fuel delivery variance are smaller. The capability and demand for Fuel delivery when going to full E85, on a Turbo motor is a whole other story. The Pump has to have a MUCH higher flow rate, than would EVER be needed with even E30. With proper tuning, the stock pump can handle full E85, but it is "turned down" a bit. It is faster than a 93 tune, especially as heat becomes a factor, but slower than E50. From a performance standpoint, our 2020 Limited Expedition Max is stock other than tuning. ZFG 93 Tune is good for a 5.04 second run to 60, and the E85 tune is good for 4.72 second run to 60. We have never tuned it to E50, because the wife doesn't want to mix. I run E85 most of the Summer, and 93 in the winter. Hope that clarifies a bit.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tifanydire