Aggressive Tune absolutely Destroys 3.5 Ecoboost

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
SyndicateZ

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Who could of ever guessed that adding 100 or more HP to an engine would end in failures......
Alot of engines have over 100 HP from tunes (especially boosted engines) but apparently the Ecoboost cant handle it. This guy must have driven like a maniac as well tho lol

Could happen to any engine tho I guess. Just gives me more anxiety ever adding an "aggressive" tune now

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've heard numbers like 550 bandied about for the stock block limit. The rod letting go suggests detonation, or the torque ramped too aggressively? Especially since it was on stock turbos.

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I REALLY hate this guy. Sensationalist crap. This video is making the rounds. I stopped watching once he started doing the teardown. I know at the beginning, he does not mention the tuner. Does he ever?

So much more to the this.

1) Who is the Tuner? There are MANY documented crap ones out there, that disable many of the Ford safeguards like the Knock Sensors.

2) Was he towing on a performance tune?

3) Was he testing his E85?

4) Was he regularly doing more maintenance?

Saying because one motor went boom on an "Aggressive" tune, tells you nothing. Very detailed on everything except what matters.

The 3.5 can handle a substantial amount of power over stock and maintain longevity if done properly by a good tuner, if they leave safeguards in place. Period. Our 2020 is 40K in with tune, and zero issues. Runs E85 for 5 Months out of the year, and a hot 93 tune the rest. If I tow with it, I tune to a tow tune.

Most likely this was a combination of owner and tuner fault. I haven't heard who it was tuned by, but I am sure it will come out at some point.

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Every engine has its limits, stock or modified. I've seen very similar builds, where one engine fails and the other is fine at similar levels of power based on the skill of the tuner and not getting greedy. As Loki said it is important to have / keep safeties in place, especially with turbos where an issue with a wastegate can quickly add boost in a situation where it is unwanted.

These vehicle ECUs record most parameters in real time, I'd love to see see what the timing, boost and A/F ratio was at or before the failure.

Fastcar

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had nothing better to do so I watched the vid. Nothing too surprising imo. Said there was 137K on it, well duh..You can go out and wail a stock engine with that kind of mileage and have the same result. Loki, you are correct no mention of the tuner or the tune.

gtr09

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@LokiWolf He did say it had 1000 injectors and was running e85, and the literal name of the tune was "Agressive Tune" hehe

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That engine with 1000cc injectors on E85 could theoretically make well over 700HP at the flywheel. To reliably produce that level of power, you have got to make sure the fuel system (not just the injectors) can handle the flow and address the engine internals. The crank looks to be a good piece, but the rods and pistons would need to be upgraded.

3.5L EcoBoost Engine Internals
Forged steel crankshaft - Good
Forged powdered metal connecting rods - Not Good
Cast aluminum pistons - Not Good

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65