Air lift conversion 1999 eddie bauer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

onebigtruck

Reaction score
I'm looking to convert from the air ride system to a conventional spring ride. Specifically the front end. It's 4 wheel drive. Can I just take parts off a used standard expedition and put it on mine or is there anything special I need to know? I'm on my way to the junk yard. Thanks

20190630_131852.jpg

NDNplanner

Reaction score
Nothing special you need to know. I did the same thing where I went to my local U-Pull your own parts place and picked up some coils for the rear end to replace the air ride shocks. My only 2 cents is that if you want to do a body lift, now would be the time to knock out two birds.

OP
OP
onebigtruck

onebigtruck

Reaction score
Thanks ndnplanner,
What did you do to convert the front end? BTW I'm trying to lift it 6 inches using a fabtech lift kit but they say it won't work on my vehicle. If I install it my front end will just drop to the ground. I'm wondering if I use a leveling key for the torsion bars, if that would give it enough support to keep the front end up. The air shocks up front are the only thing holding up the front end.

RJPS

Reaction score
If you find a way to lift your rig 6"s you'll have a lot of folks that will want to know.

NDNplanner

Reaction score
For real, a 6" lift would be an epic undertaking. On my 1st gen, I replaced the front air ride with some coils, above average shocks and added 3" leveling keys to the front torsion bars. For the rear, I replaced the air ride with coils, some above average shocks and a Daystar 2" lift kit. Beyond the coils and the 2" Daystar, there was no room to lift it any higher than this. It turned out just the way I was hoping for where the height was good enough for some respectable off-roading yet the body doesn't bounce all over the damn place while going down the highway either. Next, I plan on some new rims and tires when funds become available. Good luck OneBigTruck, upload pics and let us know how it goes.

OP
OP
onebigtruck

onebigtruck

Reaction score
Ok guys, so I happen to live 10 minutes from fabtech and went over to have a talk with their tech support team. What they told me is that they never made a kit for this due to the inability to turn off the front auto drive feature which we all know is solvable with the brown wire mod. They were concerned about front end vibration. He did say that all of the parts in their kit will fit except for the shocks due to the extra height in the upper shock mount on the air ride versions. He said he heard it has been done before and this is how. Measure the full extended length and full compression length and purchase the appropriate shock for that and remove the torsion bars and put in torsion bars from a non air ride vehicle. He said the air ride ones are weaker and won't support the vehicle. And that's it. I really hope this works. I'm going to start this weekend. If all goes well, this will solve one of the biggest problems with the air ride first gen expeditions. Wish me luck.

I know this sounds too good to be true. So if you have any input or concernes please tell me now. Before it's too late.

Last edited: