Air ride to springs/shocks in 1st gen 2001 EB 4x4?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jason Howland

Reaction score
After reading about potential issues and eventual failure, I'm thinking about changing out the air ride in my 2001 EB 4x4 to standard springs and shocks.

What else is available out there for air ride to Spring/shock kits besides Monroe? Nothing against Monroe, just curious if there's something that's a better choice. i don't need top of the line but I'd be for paying a bit more for something better quality.

Could I do the front's first, then the rears or should it all be done at once?

Expd830

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I bought all of my components separately and converted it from air to standard and I paid around $700 or less and it lifted my truck about 6 inches.

podsquad

Reaction score
I bought all of my components separately and converted it from air to standard and I paid around $700 or less and it lifted my truck about 6 inches.
I have a 1998 Expedition 4x4 EB 5.4...original owner original engine/transmission(E4OD) and still going with lots of 'bandaids' (just replaced the springs/valves in the accumulator valve body) and check ball thermostat. I have used a conversion kit...never liked that...found used stiffer torsion bars I believe were meant for snow plow package in F-150(think it were the 7's/7700...sorry it's been awhile)...then I was able to swith to the Rancho's 9000 in all 4 corners and the addition of coil springs in the rear. I am now do for another change after 90,000 miles. The rear is a bit bouncy especially on highways with uneven pavement. I'm curious what you used and did for $700? I was thinking of using the Moog constant rate coils and KYB mono-tubes in the rear.....see how that goes and then deal with the front.

Expd830

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I replaced new coil springs with the same variable rate, 2” hockey pucks added to them, then did Rancho 9000 in the back, 4” lift stock ride height, and Monroe coilovers in the front. That was last year. January 2022, New motor, transmission, torch converter. I’m running rough country 4-6” inch shocks in the front and Rancho 9000 custom height shocks in the back. It is still bouncy so I turn the ranchos down to about a “5”, the last thing I have to replace after 20 years is a new steering shaft, and my ride will be complete

podsquad

Reaction score
I have put on about 90,000 miles since I put RANCHO RS999112 on the rear and the RANCHO RS999237 on the front. It was Ok but still a bit bouncy even at a 10 on the settings. I am now switching to the KYB 565088 MonoMax Monotube upfront which FitsFront; 4WD; Lift Replacement Shocks; For Rancho # RS9237; Lift = 4-5(Rockauto) used on F-150. I looked through KYB's specs for a good match for the rear. I came up with KYB 565019 MonoMax Monotube used on 1998 Dodge Ram 3500 Pickup....Extended Length 25.71 Compressed Length 16.26 and Stroke Length 9.45 The Rear Rancho's EL 25.96, CL 16.25 SL 9.71. We will see how the damping effect plays out. The 1998 Dodge Ram was over 200 lbs heavier front and rear. I'm going to use the Moog constant rate springs. I'll either use a 1" or 2" lift. I used the Sonnax kit for the Accumulator Valve Body...the transmission now functions better than new. Drained more fluid through the bolt in the Torque Converter...replace with ATF Mobil synthetic. I have 2 issues with the truck....the radiator support is rusting....so I am using 2 ratchet straps and used an acid to stem the rusting. The biggest issue is the head gasket developed an issue where some exhaust gas was getting into the coolant/water jacket. So to keep the radiator from over pressurizing and overheating I use a thermostat with a checkball/hole so that the exhaust gas doesn't get trapped in the coolant even when the engine is cold. There is a very small coolant leak that I seemed to have plugged. I also spray some foggng oil into the throttle body to keep the head gasket from decaying.....in theory maybe makes sense. In any event the head gasket developed symptoms maybe 5 years ago.....the truck seems to be hanging in there and idles like it were new.

Last edited:

Expd830

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That sounds like a lot. I also have bounce form these customized Ranchos in the back, so I turn them all the way down to about 5. I’m running Rough Country 4-6” in the front. But I haven’t had the chance to experience all my new parts because of a broke steering shaft that has been out of stock for 4 months until…. PRIME DAY LAST WEEK… it seems everyone got a shipment of this Dorman part which should arrived Saturday

Let me know how your combination works all together.

podsquad

Reaction score
I switched out the front and the rear as outlined above. I went with a 1" lift for the springs in the rear. For the rear shocks I ordered the correct bolts and Nord washers. My mechanic had to widen the mounts and drill out the holes to accomodate the bolts for the KYB 565019(made in Mexico) in the rear. The front KYB 565088 were made in Japan....the coils USA. The truck never rode so well...it "floats like a bee". A Great, Great replacement for the air suspension. Forget the conversion kits...they are a waste of time and money. The KYB's the way I have it setup are far superior to the Rancho's. Amazing!

Expd830

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah I was wondering how KY B felt. I ended up switching out the Ranchos and bought a set of Bilsteins all the way around and I’m quite happy in the end.