Air silencer 3.5 eco boost

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AllBoostNoEco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ok. So dont buy a tune from them. Problem solved.

Back on topic, has anyone tried the vent to atmosphere mod at all for the sound?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I vented mine ages ago, and it doesn’t take a purchase of anything to do it. Yanked the hose between the BOV and intake tube. I used a spray paint can lid and zip-tied it over where the factory hose connected to the intake plumbing. Simply left the BOV open.

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score

Back on topic, has anyone tried the vent to atmosphere mod at all for the sound?

Yeah I did and it was annoying as shit. It lasted all of one day on the truck. I still have mine if you wanna buy it. It’s from jg performance

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As i said in my previous post their reputation is quite interesting and the Facebook group is quite entertaining. Im not looking to defend my purchase OR my choice of tuner. That video you posted up has an explanation behind it one of which I'm not going to go into as its stupid and petty in the tuner world. I didnt post in this thread to go into detailed explanation about the tune or tuner. All i care is that it worked 100x better than the boostmax.

As far as dyno time in my Expy, no it has not seen the dyno, nor does it need to see one for the tune. I bought the JMS Boostmax and Pedalmax cause i saw a few dyno runs and video showing a 90hp increase. Turned out to be baseless claims and to top it off downright dangerous when it fails on you in -1 weather.

And you know as well as i do owning a high performance vehicle a canned tune is nothing more than some timing added and rev limiter change to the stock pcm. This is not that. Not even close.

Btw guys there are MANY tuners out there for these trucks. Dont need to rely on just 5 star for a tune.

Ok I’m not trying to argue but I can’t help myself. If your tune wasn’t custom built with your truck on a dyno, it’s a canned tune plain and simple. Unless maybe you were data logging then sent the results to them for them to adjust the tune which it sounds like you didn’t do that.
The tune was built using another customers truck or a shop truck. Not saying it won’t work as that’s how everybody does it. My tunes from 5* are canned. Are they what came in the tuner from SCT no. I had to fill out a form with my other mods, gearing, etc. they then sent me my tunes a couple days later. That’s canned plain and simple. Doesn’t bother me none.

I’m not knocking the tuner you used at all, the results are impressive. But I guarantee you if there is an Expedition running around with 450-600whp with a stock bottom end they are on borrowed time.

With that said I agree 5* isn’t the only player in the game. But while I was doing research them and Livernois had the biggest following and the best most consistent results. Only made sense for me to go with one of them. If I was interested in racing or looking for a record then I’d go with your boys in a second no doubt.

Either way sounds like your truck is a beast. I applaud you for that

I think Jski on here did it and said after a couple of days it got annoying. IMO there isn’t anything much more annoying then a loud ass blow off. People already know you got a turbo. Do they really need to KNOW you have a turbo???

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
Ok I’m not trying to argue but I can’t help myself. If your tune wasn’t custom built with your truck on a dyno, it’s a canned tune plain and simple. Unless maybe you were data logging then sent the results to them for them to adjust the tune which it sounds like you didn’t do that.
The tune was built using another customers truck or a shop truck. Not saying it won’t work as that’s how everybody does it. My tunes from 5* are canned. Are they what came in the tuner from SCT no. I had to fill out a form with my other mods, gearing, etc. they then sent me my tunes a couple days later. That’s canned plain and simple. Doesn’t bother me none.

I’m not knocking the tuner you used at all, the results are impressive. But I guarantee you if there is an Expedition running around with 450-600whp with a stock bottom end they are on borrowed time.

With that said I agree 5* isn’t the only player in the game. But while I was doing research them and Livernois had the biggest following and the best most consistent results. Only made sense for me to go with one of them. If I was interested in racing or looking for a record then I’d go with your boys in a second no doubt.

I think Jski on here did it and said after a couple of days it got annoying. IMO there isn’t anything much more annoying then a loud ass blow off. People already know you got a turbo. Do they really need to KNOW you have a turbo???
Yeah and you only hear it if you go WOT then let off the pedal

Kwik SC

Reaction score

Not sure you and I share the same definition of a canned tune. Does the 5* tune offer revision support? Are you able to datalog and send it back for a custom tune? While i agree the base stage 2 tune file i have is what could be considered a canned tune, it is fully customizable if im not happy with any aspect of it. And if i want more power after this tune it is now a requirement for me to datalog the truck or else they wont tune.

When i was looking at 5* I got the impression they had a few safe proprietary tunes that once you load them in the truck that's it you're done whether you like how the truck runs or not. THATS what kept me from buying one. Already dealt with ******** like that in my s600. It cost me $4500 and in the end the car ran literally the same as stock with the added bonus of a slipping transmission due to the tune. I refuse to buy another canned tune thanks to that experience lol

Regardless whatever tuner you use, once you turn the boost up on these trucks they turn into something else and that's what counts lol

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Not sure you and I share the same definition of a canned tune. Does the 5* tune offer revision support? Are you able to datalog and send it back for a custom tune? While i agree the base stage 2 tune file i have is what could be considered a canned tune, it is fully customizable if im not happy with any aspect of it. And if i want more power after this tune it is now a requirement for me to datalog the truck or else they wont tune.

When i was looking at 5* I got the impression they had a few safe proprietary tunes that once you load them in the truck that's it you're done whether you like how the truck runs or not. THATS what kept me from buying one. Already dealt with ******** like that in my s600. It cost me $4500 and in the end the car ran literally the same as stock with the added bonus of a slipping transmission due to the tune. I refuse to buy another canned tune thanks to that experience lol

Regardless whatever tuner you use, once you turn the boost up on these trucks they turn into something else and that's what counts lol

Yep! I have had this discussion with several before now. There are not only 2 styles of tunes. There are many levels. Canned is where some start, but there are many levels between that and a Custom Dyno tune. HyperTech is an example of 100% canned. No option to contact them and get changes, no Data Logging, NO option for Dyno.

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Yes and Yes. If you look at their site they have whats called lifetime tunes. Meaning you can data log with your tuner send the log in and they'll tweak the tune as often as you want.

It will still never be truly custom and not completely optimized for your vehicle because there will always be one thing lacking and that's the lack of a wide band O2. Unless you can measure your AF with a wide band the tuner can only guess at what to do to make the tune optimal. They can get close but it will never be on point. That's where a dyno and street tune come in.

Either way all that matters is we're happy with our trucks. I am and it sounds like you are :biggrin:

Kwik SC

Reaction score
It will still never be truly custom and not completely optimized for your vehicle because there will always be one thing lacking and that's the lack of a wide band O2.

Either way all that matters is we're happy with our trucks. I am and it sounds like you are [emoji3]

Ok that's great that 5* does that then. Perhaps I was wrong about them. And you're right of course. I am more than happy with the tune. EVERYONE should have one of these!! Lol I am exactly where i want to be powerwise with this truck. I even noticed for the first time today its just a tad bit too fast navigating the streets of Manhattan. But MAN can i outrun those damn taxi cabs at the light so i can get in front of them!! Lol

Also fyi a lil tidbit of information. The EB motor uses a wideband o2 sensor for engine diagnostics instead of a narrowband like most other cars. Allows the truck to adjust itself with up a 40% change in the fuel and boost maps. Hence how the JMS Boostmax is supposed to work. Add boost and the computer will self tune. Pretty cool even if i found the actual results of the Boostmax to be slacking.

Last edited:

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I wasn't aware the Eco had a wide band O2. That's interesting. I guess my next question would be since you say it adjust if boost is added, what afr does it try to adjust to? I believe stoich is 14.4 and that's what just about all manufacturers program their ecu's to obtain. 14:1 afr at any amount of boost is not optimal. Maybe for fuel economy (which is the goal of the ecoboost) but not for power. As the boost goes up you want the afr to come down or richen up. I don't think the oem ecu programming has the ability to do that or is programmed to do that. If they were then I don't think there would be a need for custom tuning or any tuning for that matter.

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The offensiveness doesn’t bother me! It is the fact that a company would post it!!!! Seriously! It’s simply the point. Have your 8yr old edit the audio on their iPad for crying out loud. It literally shows that the owner is either A) lazy B) doesn’t give one shit!! C) hangs out with white douche bags that thinks it cool for them to say ***** (when not around a black person) because they may listen to some rap. LOL. There is literally no excuse for a company to have that video posted on any of their social media accounts. I don’t care if it shows an 8 second F150!!!!

I wouldnt let ANYONE who listens to rap anywhere near my engines, period